strange file/folder names in Macintosh HD folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CuervoJW, Jul 21, 2008.

1. CuervoJW macrumors newbie

I can't tell you exactly when this happened but I think TinkerTools might have been the cause of it. The Macintosh HD is filled with these strange folder names that i have no idea what they might be... they sorta resemble registry keys in Windows. I'm currently using OS X 10.5.4, white MacBook 13"

I have re-installed TinkerTools and had it made some changes and reverted the commands by resetting it to default but that still didn't fix it. Has anybody seen this type of file or folder names? Can I delete them without causing major havoc on my already abused MacBook?

Attached Files:

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Make sure TinkerTools is not showing hidden/system files, if they are still there, I'd say they are safe to delete. It appears as though some program is trying to set colors, but instead creating folder.

TEG

3. CuervoJW thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply TEG... what i had forgotten to mention is that I've since uninstalled Tinkertools

4. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I doubt very much that Tinkertool has anything to do with this. I've been using it and its big brother, Tinkertool System, for years now and never seen anything like that.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I too doubt that TinkerTool is the culprit, as I've been using it since 2001 with no problems. I just wanted to make sure that these weren't supposed to be hidden files before I suggested that they just be thrown away.

TEG