Strange file movements

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Chparigi, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Chparigi macrumors member

Dear Macrumours:

While my dad was browing though his files on his neewly bought Macbook Pro, All of his files in his "Google Drive" folder, where moved to a folder under Users/(Username)/New folder with new items 2 . Have any of you seen this before? It's utterly strange, because he said that he didn't do anything that could relate to that. Otherwise, the whole folder structure is not existing anymore - only files have been moved!

2. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

I am guessing that because your dad did not post here himself, that he is a novice mac and/or computer user.

Are all of the files on his "Google Drive" still intact, in the way that he expects them to be?

There are a few possibilities of what may have occurred.
    1. Your dad accidentally moved the files. (does the NEW FOLDER also appear on the google drive? It could have been accidentally created on either the google drive or on the mac home directory. If it is also in the google drive, it makes this much more plausible. By accidentally, I mean without even trying to move files.
    a. Does your dad use a mouse, or the built-in trackpad? I have seen people, mostly older in nature, that will drag their wrist on trackpad while typing. This can cause frustration in programs like MS Word, or email applications. I suspect that it could cause issues in the finder as well, and things might get accidentally clicked or dragged.

2. Your dad may have moved them, and forgot that he did it.

3. Your dad may have been trying to to "A" but mistakenly did "B" instead.

4. Somebody else did it. Does anyone else use the computer? What is the nature of the files? Are they files that are secure or private in nature, to an extent that a friend/family member/enemy with access to the laptop would try to replicate the files for nefarious purposes?

The most important question here, is "do all of his files contain the expected content, or has the content been changed?" If they data is not the same, and is no longer on the google drive, it is time to ask questions about possible data recovery options.