Strange File Sharing Issue

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by KeyBlue, Jun 13, 2017.

1. KeyBlue macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Apologies for my lack of knowledge!

I've set up Mac OS X Server at work on an iMac that has external hard drives attached.

All Macs on the network have file sharing turned on with a few being Administrators.

The problem we have is:

Everyone can see all files and folders on these external hard drive.
    But - if I, for example, were to make a new folder, no one else can edit the contents within that folder.

As far as I can see all users are 'read/write' so I'm a little confused?

2. KeyBlue thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE:

I've tried this:

• Open the Server App.
    • In the side bar on the left, click on the server under HARDWARE.
    • Click on the "Storage" Tab.
    • In the list of disks, click the triangle next to the disk you want to modify and navigate to the location where you want the shared folder to be... in my case, I want to create a shared folder inside the "Shared Items" folder.
    • Click on the cog/down arrow and select "New Folder...".
    • Give the new folder a name and click "Create".
    • Select the newly added folder, click the cog below and edit the permissions.
    • At that point, you can add the group you want to give access to (as an ACL) and you will notice that you now have the ability to control the Inheritance properties of the folder.
    • Once done editing the permissions, share the folder as you normally would.
    And it does work - however we already have TB's of files in the route of the external hard drive so I don't want to move all that into one overall 'shared' folder as described above.

I can't apply the above to the overall drive, it already says everyone has read/write permissions.

Any ideas?!