Strange files appearing on my desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Coobakai, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Coobakai macrumors newbie

I've been using macs for years but this is the first time I've ever seen this...

Today I started getting these strange files popping up on my desktop, all with similar file names:

Target_kazu.jpg
    Target_Lori.jpg
    Target_Lisa.jpg
    Target_Mitsuko.jpg
    Target_TheGoose.jpg

The problem is, I can not delete them! When I try to, I get the spinning beach ball and then another one appears. Arrgh... just got a new one!!!

Target_Ken.jpg

At this rate my desktop is going to be swarming with these little bastards.

Maybe windows malware is being placed on my desktop because my mac does not know what to do with it?—I have no idea. I've searched the forums, but have had no luck finding a solution.

If anyone out there has any idea what this is, or how to get rid of it... it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Coobakai

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Huh, that really sounds like malware behaviour. Have you installed any new applications lately? Do you have Dreamweaver installed? I Googled a couple of the filenames and they seem to be involved with Dreamweaver in some way. Also try doing get info on the files. If they was inadvertently downloaded with Safari, it will have a source URL tag.

Have you taken a look at the images themselves? Only do this with Quick View or by opening Preview and going to File -> Open. There are cases of trojans being disguised as JPEG images.

I also suggest scanning your computer with ClamXav. No, there are no viruses for Mac OS X, but there are trojans and worms.

3. Coobakai thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi BlueRevolution,

Thanks for the quick response! Yes I do have Dreamweaver installed. I also ran a search for the file names and saw it in a few of the results. But, I've had the program installed on my computer for some time now. It seems weird that it would now start placing random files on my desktop?

I haven't been able to open any of the files. When I attempt to, I get the spinning beach ball and then another files is placed on my desktop. Same results when trying to open in Preview... Think I better leave them alone! :eek:

I'll download the software you recommended and get back with the results.

Thanks again!

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What about new applications? While the files may be associated with Dreamweaver, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's Dreamweaver causing the problem.

What happens with get info? Beach balling again?

5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern