Strange Files Brewing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by taiga, Dec 4, 2007.

1. taiga macrumors newbie

"Attempting to copy to the disk "SPACE" failed. An unknown error occurred (-48)."

I have an external usb hard drive (named "SPACE") set to contain all of my itunes music and everything that I download. For about a week now, randomly, I'll download something, the download will be successful, and then as the file is about to be automatically transferred into itunes, it'll give me the message above. The file will still exist in my external hard drive in a downloads folder I created, but will not work or allow itself to be transferred into itunes.

I'd like to imagine that these are simply corrupt files, but when I first got the hard drive about 2 months ago this never happened, now it's happening with increasing frequency.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Verify your disk. There may be file system damage - if there is repair it.
    To do this, open Disk Utility, select the disk, and click the appropriate button.

3. taiga thread starter macrumors newbie

"Verify volume failed with error Could not unmount disk"

I immediately decided that I'd try the button below it that said "REPAIR DISK"

"Repairing disk failed with error Could not unmount disk"

Oddly enough I'm still capable of transferring other files back and forth between the external and my Mac's HD. So its not... completely out of commission.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Interesting. Something must be using the disk. Log out then back in, and try again. If that doesn't work, restart and try again.

5. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Would it be possible to boot from your OS X installer disk and use the disk utility there to repair the disk?

6. taiga thread starter macrumors newbie

I've logged out and then logged back in, now I just have to keep downloading **** and see if this will occur again.

I'll try to find the disk, however I've a feeling I may have lost it forever :(

7. taiga thread starter macrumors newbie

Strange Files Brewing

Alright, check this out.

[​IMG]

Basically, I've got an external hard drive (called "SPACE") that I save all my music downloads to, and it's randomly creating new folders (which are simply called "SPACE" with a number at the end) in this supposed "Volumes" folder. But the folder "Volumes" doesn't actually exist on my computer OR on the external hard drive. In fact these files don't actually exist anywhere I can fathom on my computer. But, apparently, they do, because when I try to change the save directory in Soulseex I can view them, yet I can do nothing with them and cannot seem to find them anywhere else. I can't seem to change the save directory back to the original "SPACE" either. When I do, Soulseex just tries to create another new copy in this invisible, unaccessible "Volumes" folder with a new number attached. SPACE 3, SPACE 4, etc.

What sort of nonsense is this?

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The Volumes folder is a special folder which "contains" all of your drives. When you insert a CD called "My CD", then its contents are available in /Volumes/My CD. It's the same with external drives, and your Space drive should show up in /Volumes/Space.

I have absolutely no idea why it's creating new numbered volumes though! Your external's not partitioned or anything?

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you remove the drive without correctly unmounting then when you reconnect the system will sometimes not remove the mount folder it created. In this case when you reconnect the drive the OS will create a new mount folder like Space 2 (then Space 3 etc) to mount the drive at.

I have occasionally seen this even with a correct unmount.

Normally a reboot will clear these folders.

10. taiga thread starter macrumors newbie

The folders seem to be permanent no matter how many reboots.

Also, I've tried creating new folders in the original volume SPACE and it refuses to cooperate and continues to throw the files in "SPACE 3".

11. taiga thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'm assuming I'm screwed. Guess I'll have to suck it up and put the downloads on the hard drive and just delete them regularly after being uploaded to itunes.

Though it would be nice to at least know how to delete the 500 or so megabytes of files that are sitting in some inaccessible netherworld on my hard drive.