Strange Finder behaviour

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DianeK, Nov 5, 2013.

1. DianeK macrumors regular

This started yesterday. Finder used to open its window with All My Files being the view. Yesterday it spontaneously changed to opening at my Home Folder instead. When I clicked on All My Files in the sidebar it did not respond - the icon for All My Files just blinked at me but didn't respond. After that I could not do anything on the computer except open and close applications but not actually do anything in the applications, nada, nothing! I could not type in any field so couldn't even use disk utility. A reboot did not fix the problem. I rebooted in safe mode and everything worked fine so I verified the disk and permissions in safe mode and no problems were found. Rebooted in regular mode, everything was fine until I clicked on the All My Files icon in Finder sidebar. Doing so rendered everything inoperable once again. So it appears clicking on that icon is doing something very evil. Any thoughts?
    Diane

2. DianeK thread starter macrumors regular

Working with Apple Support on this. This is a weird one. If it gets resolved I will post back the solution.
    Diane

3. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Finder has been crashing on me yesterday, there's a whole bunch of crash reports in the Console app, in the section User Diagnostic Reports. In my case, a reboot did fix it.

Do you have any programs running that integrate with Finder, such as Google Drive, Dropbox, Box.com or the copy.com sync client?

4. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Do you have Google Drive installed? If yes, turn off Sync. It's causing a lot of Finder errors and crashes. Includes flickering icons.

Do you have SIMBOL installed?

Have you logged out/in with Shift key down to disable Login Items. What about extensions and plugin in your browsers and in Apple Mail.

Download and run EtreCheck. Look for items in red.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

The Google Drive issue has been resolved. Closing the app and re starting it should apply the patch and resolve that issue. That has been posted in the topic here (in the Mavericks section) and on the Apple discussion forum. I applied the fix to mine yesterday and re-enable the sync status icons (that was the only thing that had to be disabled, not sync entirely) on mine and Finder hasn't crashed since.

To their credit, Google had a fix out within 24-36 hours of initial reports of the issue.