Strange finder bug

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cinematographer, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

When I want to copy a file to a folder in the sidebar of the finder, I drag the file to this sidebar icon, the folder springloads (so far so good) and I drop the file into this folder, the file doesn't copy at all.

The finder window changes back to the location the file came from. There's no feedback that the file was not copied. In my eyes, this is a rather risky behaviour of the leopard finder. :mad:

It works the way it should when I keep the cursor on the sidbar icon. The bug only appears when I move the cursor to the opening folder.

Can anyone reproduce that?

2. Cinematographer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

The bug is not fixed in 10.5.1

By the way: Is no one else having this problem? Or is my english so bad that no one understands what I'm trying to say?

3. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

that sure is weird...i copy files all the time using that method (sidebar+springloaded folders) and the finder copies the files without any issues actually.

4. Cinematographer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Thanks for your answer, byakuya. Glad it works for you.

I just tried several times and I get the same behaviour over and over again.

5. Integer macrumors newbie

I'm not at my Mac right now so can't check this out, but I remember that sometimes this doesn't work if you try to copy it into the blank space at the bottom of a column or list view. So if you have a bunch of files, then a blank space, and drag the file over the blank space, it sometimes doesn't copy there. I may be wrong about this.

A similar and annoying effect is if you try to select a bunch of files in list view, and start dragging from below the end of the list - it doesn't select anything at all, presumably because the white area at the bottom doesn't count as part of the list.

6. Cinematographer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

That's exactly what I was doing. But strangely enough, after a few hours of working with 10.5.1 and another restart, the bug only appears for copying from an external drive. :confused:

Everything else in Leopard really works great. Guess I just have to be cautious.

7. darkfader macrumors newbie

If you copy/move it to a subfolder in the springloaded finder window, it does work.
    This behavior doesn't make much sense and I see it as a bug since the green copy icon is shown when -trying- to copy but nothing happens.
    Anyone filed the bug to Apple yet?

Also see this thread.