Strange Finder entry

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Keukasmallie, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Keukasmallie macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

I opened Finder this AM and found a strange entry in the Sharing section of the left-hand column. The entry read "Jamie's Mac" and said it was Not Connected. I'm a bit concerned that such an entry just appeared. I have WEP2 security on wifi, but who knows....?

Any thoughts?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

That only means that "Jamie's Mac" has file sharing turned on, and is visible on the network that you are using. That does NOT necessarily mean that you can connect to Jamie's Mac, or that Jamie can connect to yours (unless you to allow it.)

What other Macs use the network that you use?
    Remember that a single wireless router may be able to provide enough signal to connect 50 to 75 feet away, at the most. Any computers further away might see your router, but not be able to connect at all.
    I assume you meant WPA2 - there's no WEP2. And, that's for your wireless signal, which does not affect someone who might connect through ethernet - assuming your router is used for that.

I guess a better question would be - Do you know Jamie? If it is something you have never seen before, it is likely a next door neighbor - and they have file sharing turned on.

3. Keukasmallie thread starter macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

Thanks for the info

I do mean WPA2. I'm at a motel about 3,000 miles from home and I'm antsy about someone getting to my data. I do have the firewall on and have taken those precautions that I know about.

I don't know Jamie, but with your info, I believe he/she must be another guest on the motel's wifi network.

Again, thinks for sharing your knowledge!!