Strange firewall event log messages

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by zanglebert, Jul 10, 2014.

1. zanglebert macrumors newbie

zanglebert

Hey everyone

I already asked more or less the same question on the "official" mac forum, but the answers I got there were very unhelpful and pretty unfriendly as well. Maybe someone in here can help me out?

I just started using the application firewall TCPBlock to log outgoing connections. Most of the output as shown in Console looks like this:

Note that I'm allowing all outgoing connections, I just want to get an overview of what the connections are.

There are also the following events in between:

They look like tcpblock events as well, but seem to be permutations or garbled up versions of the above events. Anyone knows what's behind this? Maybe related to avast, which at least in some of the events is mentioned as well (though not in all of them).

Two remarks: 1) Can I please not get a moral lecture on torrenting? I am using it for entirely legal purposes. 2) I know, I have avast installed. I made that as a conscious choice, I know some Mac users are against AVs, but I hope I won't only get one line answers of the type "uninstall Avast". Yeah, in case you're wondering, the two remarks are the result of the reactions on the official forum :/

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Not enough facts to give an answer…
    As you are looking at your TCPBlock logs - can you disable or uninstall TCPBlock, then check in your system.log to see if other types of events show the same garbled output? Could be simply a bug in TCPBlock.

As you also mentioned Avast,
    try disabling or uninstalling THAT, then watch your logs. (What's wrong with a one line answer? I hit return, so you would get a two-line answer :D )
    I don't know how to answer this question :D I have never heard of an "entirely legal purpose" for torrenting. That, imho, is something of an oxymoron. And, not a lecture, just my opinion.

3. zanglebert thread starter macrumors newbie

zanglebert

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

And, my example….
    I do occasionally use a torrent process for downloading something specific, but I don't leave that process available to others. I only use when I need it, otherwise, I uninstall the torrent software. Maybe that's somewhat hypocritical on my part, but then I may go two years between torrents. I believe that the torrent app is a completely unnecessary resource drain - when you aren't actually using it.