Strange "~" folder in Macintosh HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by satointl, Feb 14, 2010.

1. satointl macrumors member

There is this ~ folder in my Macintosh HD with a private icon on it? What is it and how do I get rid of it?

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Sounds to me like its a folder that an application has created on your system. I dont have this present on any of my Macs, so it doesnt seem to be essential to running the system.

3. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

Interesting. Never got my attention but turns out I have the same folder!
    It only contains a syncservice log file and a CrashReport directory - Deleted!

4. satointl thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I deleted it but I have heard of people saying that this folder keeps mysteriously coming back.:confused: Well I found another issue after a reboot and that is that all my keychains were reset and they all say "Access to this item is restricted" when you click "Show Password". Any help please?

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It's always a good idea to start a new thread when you introduce a new issue, as it does not match your thread title here. Someone who would be drawn to the new thread with an appropriate title might not open this one.

By the way, excellent job of identifying the original problem in your title. Those "generic" titles drive me nuts!

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I have the same folder on my machine - it has some KDE stuff underneath it.

I did some googling and found other folks with the same problem, but no one has found the cause.

Since ~ is the shorthand for your home directory, I'm going to speculate that there is some software out that that has a bug in it in which it is trying to open "/~/somefile" instead of "~/somefile".