Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blufire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2002
Hi, I'm running OS X 10.3.2 on a G4 dual 1 GHz (MDD) w/ 768 MB RAM. Just within the last two days, I've suddenly gotten a strange problem with fonts, where the font you select in the font menu is not the correct font. It's off by one or two fonts near the top of the list, and by you get to the bottom it's really way off. I've tried disabling and re-enabling all fonts in font book, leaving only a standard set on, and I've tried FontDoctor 6.0 as well. Nothing has been able to fix this problem. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
blufire, right this second I can't answer but being the font monger I am and will be installing Panther on my G3 (now a G4-800) soon I am very interested in researching this problem. Some questions in the meantime; have you moved or sorted any of the fonts in the system folder? have you checked for duplicate fonts? (this one I know you haven't done) deleted LucidaGrande.dfont? (mac won't boot without it) Your MAC will look in 4 different places to access fonts.
1. (Root Level) System>Library>Fonts
2. (Root Level) Library>Fonts
3. (User Level) Users>YOU>Library>Fonts
4. Classic's System Folder>Fonts

I make a practice of keeping the minimum fonts required in the Root System folder then move all my fonts into a Fonts folder in my User Directory (so the system can't see them there) I also use Suitcase X1 for font management to open what I need on an as needed basis.

All fonts consume RAM the more you have open to the system the less RAM you have available. In the past (OS 9 and earlier) It was always said to keep font with "City" names i.e. New York, Chicago, Monaco, Geneva, etc. These were the minimum the system needed to operate.

Try cleaning up your fonts folders and re-boot and see if the problem persists.

blufire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2002
Turns out it was a permissions problem... just had to repair the permissions on my volume; it found some incorrect permissions on a few fonts and fixed 'em. The problem is gone now. Thanks for your help anyway, Sparky's! I appreciate your time.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
blu, can you explain how you found out it was a "permissions" prob. I will be installing OS 10.3 in the next few days and any and all info I can gather would be extremely helpful.

Sparky

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.