Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mahler12x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
California
My mom's got an old G4 iMac that she uses a ton but was still using Panther. Being the good son that I am, I brought over my shiny new copy of Leopard to bring her OS into modernity. I performed an upgrade first and was excited to show her the wonders of Leopard when I noticed that upon opening Mail, there were weird graphical problems with the buttons and button labels. I opened Safari and buttons were scrambled & multicolored there too. They look like your television screen when you're trying to watch HBO without a subscription. Some of the buttons or labels wouldn't even show up at all, rendering most of the programs useless.

Things seemed to function ok if you clicked where the button was supposed to be, which is why I had to conclude that this was a graphics problem primarily. I then tried a clean install but the problem remained. My mom was freaking out, thinking I'd ruined her computer.

I thought, well, maybe it just can't handle Leopard for whatever reason; maybe I'll just try installing Tiger so at least it's somewhat updated. But, lo and behold, Tiger looked like it was going to do the exact same thing. Even the first install screen where you choose your language had colorfully smeared buttons just as Leopard had done.

I finally just threw Panther back on in a clean install without a hitch and it's working fine. Fine, except for the fact that my Dad bought an iPhone and can't sync the damn thing with this ancient OS. Somebody please help! The specs are as follows:

iMac G4 PowerPC 1.25 GHz
1GB RAM PC2700
GeForce FX 5200 64MB AGP

All software and firmware updates have been performed as far as I can tell.

Thank You

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I know iTunes 7.4 is available on 10.3. Thus iPhone should be able to sync to it.

Not sure what the other problems are though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.