Strange Graphics Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by listylister, Mar 29, 2008.

1. listylister macrumors newbie

I bought my macbook about 3 weeks ago now. I have been noticing some strange problems whilst playing games and sometimes using photo editing software. It's like this little box of different colours that are really pixelated (see attached screenshot).

I was worried that it could be a problem with the graphics card inside. Could you please post any ideas that you may have. And also if you recommend me taking it back to the mac shop (authorised reseller) for them to take a look at.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

couldn't you take it to the nearest Apple Store? I bought my MB at the University of California, Berkeley, but I take it to the Apple Store in Emeryville, CA or San Francisco, CA for service or tune ups' on a regular basis. Unless, the reseller is closer to your residence. :cool:

3. Jpoon macrumors 6502

I usually get this sort of distortion while playing WoW, when I'm switching in and out of the window. I have no idea what it is, but I'd say it has something to do with the video card sucking it up. Take it to the Apple store if it keeps occurring like that though.

Lemme know how it goes... cause if that's a real problem, then I'm also having the same issue, except I haven't had graphic errors persisting on the desktop or icons.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

From the looks and description of your problem, my guess is that's the spinning beachball or what's left of it after using up all your resources playing the game or the other software. How much RAM and free space on your HD do you have? You may be pushing your shared graphics memory to the limits and beyond.

5. listylister thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it happened after I played World of Warcraft. I had just closed it down and it came up with that.

I have about 60gb out of 120gb hard drive space free but i only have 1gb ram in my lappy. I might consider upgrading this if it continues to happen. Do you think this will fix the problem? I know World of Warcraft does take up a lot of resources so it is probably this.

I would take it back to the shop straight away but it's quite far away and I thought i would ask here before i did to see if any of you guys knew.

Thanks a lot guys.

6. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

It looks like you are running out of ram, I would suggest you upgrade if playing games.

7. castor macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem; square of same size, in weird colours, when I exit WoW. Have a latest generation MacBook with 4g ram. I've also been having strange graphical errors in game, especially related to spell detail. It happens no matter what video settings I use, and with a freshly reinstalled game sans add ons.