iPad mini Strange happening since update-they transferred things from other devices

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cottonjenn, Sep 27, 2013.

1. cottonjenn macrumors member

Okay, I have a 16GB iPad Mini. I also have an older iPod and an iPod Touch. Now what happened is a benefit for me but it doesn't make sense. After the update they somehow transferred 20 movies, 40 TV shows and 200 songs from my other devices, on my account. They are all marked with a cloud. Obviously they are not using my GB's because there is no way all this would fit on my Mini. I cannot even delete them. I do not have movies and songs on Cloud. Don't quite get how Cloud works as far as taking up space. I only have Cloud on my contacts. This is very strange. When I called Apple, they couldn't understand how it happened. Like I said, it's good for me as long as nothing gets messed up down the road.

2. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Not strange. It's the same iTunes 'in the cloud' as on the computer. If you are connected to Internet you can stream them

3. bobright macrumors 601

Wow that's a lot of content, are you paying for extra storage via iCloud OP? How does this work or is it if you purchased this content from iTunes its automatically saved in the cloud regardless of how much storage you have?

4. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

It's right off the iTunes servers just like being able to re download purchases.

5. bobright macrumors 601

Ok but if you want to watch whatever movie you purchased you would have to download it to your device first right?

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

As I said earlier. If you are online you can stream the stuff.

7. bobright macrumors 601

Hmm so I guess thast pretty much like free cloud service was not aware of that

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Yeah, you are seeing your iCloud movies and music links basically. Apple is giving you the option of downloading or streaming them on your mini w/out having to touch a computer. Think of it as links. No space taken as long as you don't download them...

Nah, I have 146 iTunes iCloud movies and I don't think I have a lot. They are purchases so no size limit which is different than the 5GB of iCloud for backups

9. cottonjenn thread starter macrumors member

I can play these movies and songs, don't have to download, they are there. They better not be charging me for any of this cause they did it not me. Will have to watch my charges. Don't understand when you say streaming from Cloud. Like I said I did not put Cloud on my movies and songs. I even have a few movies that I have deleted off my computer thru iTunes. Don't know how they selected what to transfer. I have like 1000 songs on my 80GB iPod, yet only 200 ended up on Cloud. The Apple guy on the phone didn't understand it but he was a jerk anyway. It's just strange.

10. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

It's not strange at all. Any purchases you make from iTunes now show on your devices libraries so you can listen or watch them without them taking up physical space on your device. And no there isn't any additional charges for this.

11. bobright macrumors 601

So basically did this come new with iOS 7? And now purchasing iCloud storage would be for accessing stuff that wasn't bought from iTunes?

12. cottonjenn thread starter macrumors member

It happened with iOS7 and no I did not buy Cloud. This is why I'm confused. Now if I'm streaming as some are saying does that mean I need to be on Wifi when watching these cloud movies and songs?

13. cottonjenn thread starter macrumors member

Answered my own question. Turn a movie on and saw the spinning thing in the corner. Oh well I guess.

14. bobright macrumors 601

OMG are they charging you again?

15. cottonjenn thread starter macrumors member

Not sure about the charging thing. They better not be. I still have to look into that.

16. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

No, additional iCloud storage is only for backing up all your devices - for example, my camera roll backup is 4GB alone so I needed to buy the bigger upgrade of space. Your previous iTunes purchases do not take up cloud space at all, they are simply made available to stream as you require. And yes, this was pushed with iOS7.

17. bobright macrumors 601

That makes sense ok was confusing the heck out of me.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Btw, you can turn this off, and only show the music/videos that are directly on your device, by going to Settings > iTunes & App Store, and turning "Show All Music / Video" off.

19. Hamburger macrumors regular

ah thanks, that now helped me get rid of some music i didn't want to see on my iphone.

20. cottonjenn thread starter macrumors member

NightSpring, is there a way to turn off Cloud on a movie? Listen to what I did with the movie I did purchase on my Mini. I noticed I purchased the HD version instead of the SD. Now the HD is a larger GB. This was the only movie I had besides now the Cloud ones. I decided I wanted the SD version instead and thought I could delete the HD and reload the SD. Wrong. The minute I hit delete it put it in Cloud. I proposely wanted to have a movie I could watch when I don't have access to Wifi. Having all the other movies on my device is great if I have access to Internet. I tried different things and there is no way to get rid of Cloud. I plan on calling Apple.

21. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Look, I think you are being too dense to understand iTunes purchases, but here is how to remove the iCloud movie links so you don't see them:
    settings>videos> show all videos (OFF)

22. cottonjenn thread starter macrumors member

I get that part. My question is for the one movie. You're not getting my question.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Okay, the Cloud contains everything you ever purchased, and as far as I can tell, there is no way to remove items from there.

You bought a movie, which I assume downloaded to your device. You deleted it off your device, so it went back to the cloud. This is how it is supposed to behave.

I found an article describing how to download a SD version of a HD movie you bought. Hope this helps you do what you want.
    http://mac-fusion.com/how-to-download-sd-versions-of-itunes-movies-you-own-on-your-iphone/

24. cottonjenn thread starter macrumors member

Thank you Night Spring, I appreciate your help.

25. cottonjenn thread starter macrumors member

OMG, it worked. Night Spring thank you so much.