Strange happenings

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pyrotechnic, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

I just restarted my iMac and on rebooting a window popped up to say my clock had been reset to 01/01/2001 at 00:00 and I also had another 2 windows pop up asking if i should allow or deny the connections.

The 2 requests were for mdnsresponder and configd ?

Has something gone wrong, am I at risk. I am a little worried now as I have never ever been asked for connections by these 2 files before.

I am on Snow Leopard, all up to date.

Help ? or am I worrying about nothing.

2. MikhailT macrumors 601

Allow them, they are OS X background services for managing your DNS and other network services. Most likely, because those service were prevented from the Internet, your time wasn't automatically set against the Internet.

3. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated. It is a little worrying as I have not changed anything and have rebooted on many occasions without being asked before.

Strange.:confused:

4. heswa macrumors newbie

How to restore mDNSResponder

I had the same thing happen to me. When I got those pop-ups, I didn't recognize mDNSResponder or configd so I said "Deny" for both. Now that I know they're necessary for getting online, I can't figure out how to restore access. In the System Preferences > Security > Firewall it doesn't list them as being denied. What do I do?