strange hard drive problem, need some guidance

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dralbertqnixon, May 30, 2007.

1. dralbertqnixon macrumors newbie

I've had my mac pro since october - 2.66/1gig ram/250gb hard drive. I got another 160gb hard drive and recently I noticed the 160 is giving me some some trouble after I upgraded to vista - even in OSX. For example, these past few days the system would freeze loading Safari and even freeze the finder for about 20 mintues until it would go back to normal. I could access both drives yesterday. Now today I turn on my computer and it hangs at the boot.

A manual restart (hold-down power) managed to load up my main disk (250gb drive). I get an error that my disk 160gb drive is unreadable in OSX and a click later i'm in disk utility. My formerly 160 drive is now unreadable in OSX and is 7.5gb large:

WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK-----:

Capacity: 7.46 GB
    Model: WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK-----
    Revision: 03.01C03
    Serial Number: WDC-ROM SN# XYZ----
    Native Command Queuing: No
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk1
    Bay Name: "Bay 3"
    OS9 Drivers: No
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

Both disks formerly were the same family of Western Digitals, the only difference is, one being 250 and the other 160. Anyone got any suggestions? The data on it isn't too important. Did both partitions get corrupted somehow with Vista's crapiness?

Can I erase the drive in disk utility to recover all the space...Or will that just give me 7.5gb to use?

Thanks

2. dralbertqnixon thread starter macrumors newbie

turns out it was vista's fault, a system disk erase saved the day - but couldn't save the data on the disk.

i learned a valuable life lesson here. vista is like that beautiful woman at the bar, she's quite attractive and seems to be interested in you. after a few drinks, you take her back to your place - expecting it to be a night to remember.

the next morning she's gone. there's nothing in your apartment and you have developed a serious case of crabs.