Strange Haswell rMBP 15 issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rustybojangles, Nov 4, 2013.

1. rustybojangles macrumors newbie

I have the high end rMBP 15". i7/512/750m and am wondering if anyone else is experiencing the following issue.

ONLY when plugged in does it occur, once I unplug the magsafe it stops:

When I place my wrists on the two pieces of aluminium beside of the trackpad to type, I experience either a vibrating humming sensation or a static electricity feeling strange sensation. It's not enough to hurt, but its very annoying on the wrists. It definitely feels like some small current is being transferred into my hands. The best I can describe it as rubbing your feet on carpet to create static electricity and touching a balloon.

When I unplug the magsafe it immediately stops. This never happened on my 2012 rMBP and haven't experienced anything like it before.

Probably a very rare isolated thing, just wondering what you guys thought.

The only thing I can think of is I'm slowly turning into Magneto

2. Serban Suspended

its ok ...this is the result of the aluminium body and electricity

3. rustybojangles thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm just not sure if its coming from the adapter, as it stops when I unplug it.

I don't have carpet in my house, hardwood only and even if I ground myself somewhere before or wear my anti static wrist strap it still occurs.

4. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Do you have an Apple Store or other retailer with Macs on display nearby?

Does the same thing happen when using one of their power adapters? Do you feel the same thing on the store units?

Honestly, that doesn't sound right to me... I mean, I assume that the electronics inside the computer use the case as a common ground point, but you shouldn't feel it...

5. warplane95 macrumors regular

chek your mag safe charger, maybe is defectuous.

I have the 15'' rMBP hasweel and i didnt have this problem

6. Donsig macrumors newbie

It's a pretty normal occurrence when you plug your metal laptop in. Had this issue with both my new rMBP and my old windows laptop, and I've seen people talk about it plenty of times around here.

7. WarrenTJDunne macrumors newbie

I have experienced this with the MacBook Pro. The case it earthed so you can feel residual current

----------

Put a meter on it see what u get

8. pendragon1984 macrumors 6502

I experienced this from time to time on my 2010 macbook pro. I don't experience it on my 15" retina late 2013. If it happens all the time for you or is bothering you, I would return it if you're within the 14 days.

9. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

If you are not using the 3 prong plug in, you become the grounding wire.

10. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

Yup, use the 3 prong cord instead