Strange hoise from my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by silvine, Apr 6, 2012.

1. silvine macrumors member

There's a faint clicking noise coming from the top left corner of my iMac. I opened the machine, cleaned it for dust and secured all wires but the noise is still occurring. What could cause this?

2. simsaladimbamba

What exact iMac? Can you record the sound and maybe pin-point the noise more accurately?

3. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

What other moving part can cause that noise? Fan or hard drive or...?

Like simsaladimbamba said, provide more details if you have them.

4. silvine thread starter macrumors member

It's a 2010 27 inch imac. I can hear the noise when sitting at my machine. that said, the noise is faint and originates from the top left corner of the imac. When I press my ear to the machine it's quite audible. It only occurs when machine is powered on. BTW when I say left I mean the opposite side of the optical drive.

I can't hear it from any other area of the machine and it's definitely not the HDD or optical drive. I opened the imac and there are no fans along the top left corner. I also got rid of dust and stuck wires down. The noise definitely didn't occur when I first purchased the mac.

Attached Files:

5. silvine thread starter macrumors member

I think it's the rear fan behind the stand. What's the best way to clean this?

6. Viking23 macrumors member

With a fine brush, or an can or air to blow the dust out. Or it could be a dry bearing on the fan!

7. silvine thread starter macrumors member

8. silvine thread starter macrumors member

I don't think it's from the top left after all. It's seems to be echoing around the inside of the case. I've attached a recording. I tried turning up and down the fan using SMC but it didn't make any difference to the noise.

Could it be a failing HDD?

Attached Files:

9. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

if it was the top right, it could be the hard drive because my iMac makes noises in the hard drive when booting and when going to sleep

10. silvine thread starter macrumors member

I think it's an echo coming from the stock hdd. Time for an SDD I think!