Strange "hole" in my System Preferences pane

Argelius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
See image. I have no idea what caused the "Speech" icon to disappear and look this way... The icon still functions (i.e. brings up the Speech options).

Any idea how to fix this? :confused:

Attachments

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Close System Preferences then find a file named com.apple.preferencepanes.cache in the Caches folder on your Home folder's Library and drag it to the Trash, then reopen System Preferences. Hopefully this works. :)

frenetic

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2004
Amsterdam
Have you tried taking the speech Preference Pane out of HD/System/Library/PreferencePanes?

1. Quit system preferences
2. take the speech preference pane out it
3. Open system preferences again and it should not be there
4. quit system preferences again
5. re-add the speech preference pane.

Don't know if this works but you can always try...

tombarnes

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Surrey, United Kingdom
This happened to me on my new imac core duo a couple of days after i bought it. But after a few shutdowns a re-boots it disappeared, and hasnt shown its face since. It's about 5 months now!

Argelius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
mad jew said:
Close System Preferences then find a file named com.apple.preferencepanes.cache in the Caches folder on your Home folder's Library and drag it to the Trash, then reopen System Preferences. Hopefully this works. :)
Well, cool! That worked!
Thanks!

:D

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
mad jew said:
What, you mean he doesn't need to reinstall OSX? ;)

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
That's weird, I saw the exact same thing (identical location and screwy icon) on my MPB right after setting it up. Went away on its own at some point, though I've forgotten what I did that fixed it (just rebooting a couple times, I think, or it might have been installing a new prefpane.

Since it only seems to occurr on new Macs, I wonder if that cache file isn't getting screwed up durring the setup process or something.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Argelius said:
Well, cool! That worked!
Thanks!

No worries. :)

IJ Reilly said:
What, you mean he doesn't need to reinstall OSX? ;)

If it happens again, throw the whole machine out, buy a new one, reinstall the OS and then go to your neighbour's house and reinstall their OS too, even if it's not OSX. Better safe than sorry. :p

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
mad jew said:
If it happens again, throw the whole machine out, buy a new one, reinstall the OS and then go to your neighbour's house and reinstall their OS too, even if it's not OSX. Better safe than sorry. :p
To be on the safe side, repair his permissions, too. Doesn't even matter if he doesn't have a computer. Repair them anyway. :)

r6girl

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
Massachusetts
i love macrumors! i just had to reply to this thread because i had this exact problem with my new macbook, so i did a search to see if anyone had this problem as well and found the solution here. most excellent!