Strange iCloud Prompt

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by dwfaust, Oct 7, 2014.

1. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

About 3 hours ago I started getting prompted to enter my "correct" iCloud password. The message displayed contends that my password (previously and subsequently entered) is incorrect. This is in spite of the fact that I know it’s correct, and going to Settings > iCloud indicated that I am logged in properly. Likewise, I can also log into iCloud.com using my Apple ID and the known password.

The popups prompting for the password come about every 20 minutes or so.

I am running the Yosemite GM candidate 2.

Attached Files:

2. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

Getting the same thing. Noticed it first today about 4 hours ago. Am running public beta 4. Double-checked that no one hacked my iCloud account, it still has the same password. No idea what's going on

3. deviant macrumors 65816

may be a fantastical bug. try contacting them. i didn't update to gm 2 yet, so i can't test, sorry.

4. aikend macrumors newbie

Do you have two factor auth enabled on iCloud? If so, you may need to create an app-specific password.

5. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

That was my thought as well. Prompt popped up as I was leaving office. I'll try that tonight.

6. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Made me go through elaborate sign in procedures on both of my Macs that involved inputting numbers Apple texted to my phone.

7. dwfaust thread starter macrumors 68040

dwfaust

That was it. I discovered it after digging around a bit. Was coming here to post the solution.

I should have recognized the icon as Fantastical.

Thanks.

8. fruitpunch.ben, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

Ah of course.
    I didn't look closely enough at the icon and thought it was Calendar.
    Strange that it comes up now. I've had 2 factor authentication enabled for months, and this is the first I've seen of this error.
    Checked App Store, and fantastical hasn't been updated that I can see. Strange that it randomly just started

9. dukee101, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

dukee101 macrumors member

dukee101

+1, this just started happening to me an hour ago. Fantastical on both of my Macs running OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks has prompted me for my iCloud password. I've also had 2-factor auth enabled for months. There must've been some kind of server auth check today across a bunch of accounts that prompted this. I went into my Apple ID settings and made app-specific passwords for Fantastical which then fixed the issue.

10. dwfaust thread starter macrumors 68040

dwfaust

After I discovered the cause of the prompt, I saw a tweet from @Flexbits (Fantastical creator) mentioning the issue. Apparently it was something that Apple started enforcing yesterday.

Attached Files: