Strange icons in drop-down menu after Yosemite update

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by clee290, May 5, 2015.

1. clee290 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

So I received the 10.10.3 update for Yosemite yesterday and after installing it, I noticed some strange icons in a drop-down menu.

Here is a photo:
    [​IMG]

The icons are the squares with what look to be quotation marks? I'm not sure what it is, but it makes the drop-down menu pretty sluggish and slow to use, especially when scrolling down the menu.

Here is a second photo of the menu opened in Chrome (and what it used to look like in Safari pre-update):
    [​IMG]

Anyone have any ideas what this might be? I don't even know if the Yosemite update is what caused this, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Edit: Also, this is the only drop-down menu that I've encountered this so far. Sadly, it's the drop-down menu I use the most. And if anyone wants to try it themselves to see if they have the issue too, here is the website: RedFlagDeals.

2. chabig macrumors 601

Those have nothing to do with the Operating System. They are displayed by the web page itself, and look like some kind of bullet character.

3. clee290, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015

clee290 thread starter macrumors member

So why do they not appear in Chrome? If it is an issue with the web page, wouldn't it be an issue on all browsers? As of right now, it seems specific to Safari.

Edit: Plus, I never said it had something to do with the OS :p I just meant the latest update, 10.10.3, could have changed something in Safari.

4. chabig macrumors 601

My guess is that it's font related.

5. KALLT macrumors 601

They seem to have used some unsupported white-space characters to align the subentries in the dropdown control in Safari. Maybe other browser engines support that character.