Strange Idea, likely already thought of but...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Nohg, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Nohg macrumors member

...wouldn't it be great if it was new?

I see lots of people talking about wanting to stream *from* their iPot/iPhone via AirTunes to some speakers or whatnot. Which got me thinning. Is it possible, even just in theory, to stream to the iPot/iPhone? In range of your wi-fi network, any space limitations on the device would be moot if you could access shared libraries. Especially in light of both devices running a trimmed OSX-ish thing and it already being an approved entity to access the iTunes store and play DRM'd files...it should be just like sharing to a computer, right?

If this has been done already feel free to point me in the right direction, I'll be ecstatic +10.

2. Cormier6083 macrumors regular

Cormier6083

Perhaps this idea should implemented for iPod users as well. Not all of us can afford iPot.

3. Nohg thread starter macrumors member

Yeah but iPods don't have wifi do they......? That is how you share libraries unless you want to walk around with a 300 foot cord haha.

4. iLoveiPodTouch macrumors newbie

what is an iPod
    just wondering
    is it some app or software or hardware thing
    thanx

5. skir0987 macrumors regular

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I think you can try http://code.google.com/p/telekinesis/ ... it lets you stream music+video and also lets you do a bunch of other stuff (like view the screen on your mac, etc.)

-Shep

6. Nohg thread starter macrumors member

Ah well, closest I've gotten so far. Let me re-explain. I wish to hear songs from a shared library on a computer over my iPot's earbuds. Think AirTunes setup. Got it in mind? Now replace the express and its connected speakers with an iPot/iPhone and earbuds. That's my idea.

7. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

Ummm.......I'm guessing you're being sarcastic. Otherwise, why is your name iLoveiPodTouch?

8. fdmendez macrumors member

It's possible, although currently the only way to do it would be to host your files on a server.

Mobile Safari can play MP3, AAC, and Quicktime files. So all you have to do is host your files on a server and you could access it from anywhere on the web. You can't skip to next track since all it really does is temporarily DL the file you choose and play it, so you'd have to manually choose every song you want to hear. It wouldn't go on to the next track automatically.

It's also possible for someone to write a program to make the experience much better, although I'm no program writer so I'm out of the question.

The way I would do it, is I would host all my files on a server and I'd bookmark the server on my iPod. No one would know the address but me, and I would organize all my music in folders by artist/album/song.

9. ebony macrumors regular

10. skir0987 macrumors regular

If you could make a live streaming track on a webpage, you could go there on your iPod Touch and then make your computer broadcast whatever's coming out of it's speakers or the iTunes library. Then the only thing you would have to do would be to make a remote control, which is already included in telekinesis. So if you could open the remote in one tab in safari and the streaming in another, it could potentially work.

-Shep

11. Barnard macrumors newbie

Why not use the 16GB of memory you get free with the Touch and use the built in music player.

Surely a whole lot easier, and less battery draining.

12. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

i believe he typed this on his touch that he loves so much and auto correct changed iPot to iPod.

but yes iPot, must say i would prefer iTouch. (i am a beleiver in ONLY the terms iPod touch or touch. iPot sounds like a virtual bong and iTouch like a fake from china)

13. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I just use iPt

14. Nohg thread starter macrumors member

Because I have more than 16GB of music that wasn't free...