Strange imac problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DJJAZZYJET, Sep 5, 2011.

1. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

Ok, so i randomly went to turn my imac on and i was greeted by a progress bar at the bottom of the apple logo, it completed, and i went to the login screen, i logged in and my imac was lagging SO much, everything was lagging, which never happened before, my imac was using 10gb out of 12gb of ram, worried i restarted, and it seems to be fine. Im still abit worried, this has never happened before, shall i call apple and tell them?

2. treestar macrumors 6502

You don't have anything to call Apple and tell them about. It sounds like you have no other details. If the problem persists you make an appointment with an Apple Genius and they take in your computer for evaluation.

3. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Sounds like a firmware update. Look in your Utilities folder and see if there isn't an installer there. It will have the word "firmware" in the name. My guess is your machine is okay, but it's always a good idea to review your backup procedure.

4. Doga macrumors regular

Doga

Dunno, I don't think that was a firmware update - sounds to me like your Mac started in safe mode.

Happened to me once with my new iMac last week; it started in safe mode all by itself (to my surprise and concern) - I did some searching on various forums. Read where a couple of people had the same thing happen for no apparent reason.

No way to know for sure (and no way to trace it) but from a few threads I read it may have been because I'd turned on my wireless keyboard and mouse long before starting the computer. Since then I now turn on the keyboard & mouse right when the machine finishes booting and the desktop appears. No problems since. Ran Disk Utility a couple of times and it said everything appears to be ok.

I also read that that unwanted Safe Mode boots can be caused by startup items hanging when the machine is booting.

5. DJJAZZYJET thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks

it seems to be fine now, it wasnt a firmware update, it probably was safe mode, as i had pressed the on button on my wireless keyboard when i didnt need to.