Strange internet problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by marsman2015, Dec 27, 2008.

1. marsman2015 macrumors newbie

I've got an interesting internet problem that I've searched all over the net for but can't find any information on it.. I used to have a netgear router and everything worked fine, recently I got a linksys WRT610N router and thats when the problems began.
    The details:
    I can connect to the internet through wifi, games and downloads run very fast and with no problems, however when just browsing the internet, it runs slow at times..
    It sometimes loads pages with no problem, but most of the time, even with simple sites like google.com, it will load a random portion, like maybe just the title, or half the page, then stop. Sometimes it will load the rest of the page after 20-30 seconds, sometimes it wont and you have to refresh.
    Other times it wont even begin to load the page and you have to go to the page again to get it to load..
    If the page has recently been loaded (last minute or so) they can load again with no problem.
    This problem happens in Firefox and Safari. Opera just flat out wont load pages, unless you go to the page in another browser first. (ie try to load google in Opera, it wont work, then load it in Firefox, retry it in Opera, it will load)
    Other computers on the network that are both on wifi and wired all work, however they are all windows. So it doesn't seem like it is the wifi or the router, but something between the new router and my mac just isnt working..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, it sucks not being able to browse the internet easily..

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Wow... there are so many things that can cause Internet connectivity issues.
    - if you are on a cable ISP, cable degrades when more users are on
    - if you did an update to your browser, you may need to repair your permissions
    - when was the last time you ran maintenance scripts for daily, weekly and monthly maintenance
    - how much RAM is on the Mac vs the PC
    - what network connection is each computer getting? Are some connecting a g speeds and others at N

The gist is that kind of scenario is really hard to debug unless there is a known issue between the router and Apple computers. Some of the above stuff might help.

3. marsman2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, heres some more info..
    -DSL, not cable, but even when the other computers aren't on mine goes slow
    -No browser updates recently, but how would I go about repairing permissions?
    -Uhh.. never.. what scripts should I be running?
    -Some windows have 2 gb of ram, some have 1 gb. My mac has 4 gb
    -How do I find the connection type of each?

Sorry for some stupid questions here and thanks again

4. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

- Start disk utility from the applications>utilities>diskutility
    - click on your Mac Hard Drive
    - Click on repair permissions
    see attachment

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html#Anchor-Manually-49575
    - if you have never done this maintenance, run all three scripts. The weekly one takes longest
    - You can also get a free app called Onyx that simplifies this task and permission repair for you.

- access your router (usually through your browser)
    - each vendor will have a slightly different configuration, but you are looking for active connections or wireless connections. See attachment. That 11ng stands for 802.11 connecting at N and G modes. You can see that the data rate is 117 Mbs which is pretty good, but not the maximum of wireless N's theoretical 300 Mbit.

Attached Files:

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Look for a firmware update to the router.

If that doesn't fix it, try using the OpenDNS for your DNS servers:

6. marsman2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

Both of you, thanks a lot for the help!
    changing the DNS seems to have fixed the problem, and mcavjame, my computer is just running a lot better in general now.

Thanks again!