Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alhambra2606

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Having a slightly weird problem. I am at my parents doing some work and I am having problems accessing certain Internet sites. I have been having the same problem here for the last couple of weeks. But every time I go home I can access the sites fine. The crazy thing is that my Dad can access the sites from his iMac and I can also access them from my iPhone.

I'm using a MacBook with Safari 4 Beta but have also tried using Firefox on the same sites and still no joy. :mad:

Anyone had anything like this before?

Thanks

Alhambra2606

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Where do you turn safe search off in OSX?

Also the sites are not restricted at all, sites like Adobe etc. I have no problem access restricted types haha

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
If you go to google and click on image section, you will see the "Strict safe search on". Click there to change settings.

Actually, it sounds more like parental controls are enabled on the machine. With "try to restrict access to adult sites" my daughter could not connect to Facebook, which is relatively benign.

Alhambra2606

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
I think the google safe search is only for searching not access sites. I have it set to not filter anyway and I have no parental controls set. grrr

Alhambra2606

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Could it be a router setting? Are accounts restricted in any fashion for things like guest accounts etc?

I thought that myself but have no access restrictions set on the router and seems strange that both an iMac and iPhone can access without problems.

Alhambra2606

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Plugged my MacBook into the router using an ethernet cable and it works fine.
Work around for now but very strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.