Strange iOS 5 weather app issue...

AlexJaye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Texas
Every now and then when I open the weather app on my iPhone, this occurs. It sometimes gets the temperatures or daytimes different yet is looking in the same area at the same time. It is always a discrepancy between the "local weather" feature and the same city I manually add to Weather. The days are also wrong, as well. It's not a deal breaker but it is disappointing and confusing as I'm not sure sometimes which temperature is correct (obviously I can tell whether or not it's day or night).

Has anyone else had this issue? It's just weird.

Attachments

sirpots

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Nebraska
Every now and then when I open the weather app on my iPhone, this occurs. It sometimes gets the temperatures or daytimes different yet is looking in the same area at the same time. It is always a discrepancy between the "local weather" feature and the same city I manually add to Weather. The days are also wrong, as well. It's not a deal breaker but it is disappointing and confusing as I'm not sure sometimes which temperature is correct (obviously I can tell whether or not it's day or night).

Has anyone else had this issue? It's just weird.
weird coincidence that you posted this because I had this issue just last night.

Comment

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Having the same issue. A hard reset seems to correct the problem for me.

Comment

AlexJaye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Having the same issue. A hard reset seems to correct the problem for me.
Doesn't seem to correct the issue for me, it does it both before and after doing one of those.

Comment

jmo1116

macrumors regular
May 27, 2010
Alabama
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Been having the exact same issue and it's so annoying. I can't even check the weather on the stock iPhone app? That's not very impressive...not sure how to fix it.

Comment

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Yea I've had this problem...apparently there is something wrong with the algorithms that check the local weather. Maybe it'll be fixed in 5.1

Comment

AlexJaye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

applefanDrew said:
Yea I've had this problem...apparently there is something wrong with the algorithms that check the local weather. Maybe it'll be fixed in 5.1
Jeez, I sure hope so! It's just annoying.

Comment

Prof.

macrumors 601
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago
Same problem here. It's been a problem since I got my iPhone on October 21, 2011. It also says it's 25ºF outside when it's really 0ºF

32GB iPhone 4S running 5.0.1 - Verizon

Comment

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Same problem here. 4S running iOS 5.0.1. It doesn't matter whether I've got a specific location entered or if I've got "local weather" ticked where it checks every time you open it. It doesn't do it all the time, but when it does, it's almost always showing 34 degrees and the day is wrong.

Comment

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Same issue here as well! It picks a city that it wants to do this to as well. Where all my other cities I have entered show night, Los Angeles seems to be the stubborn one and be stuck blue like your screenshot there. Thought my phone was just going crazy. Not a big deal for me, but would like to see it fixed soon.

Comment

sirpots

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Nebraska
its weird because my will give me a completely different city sometimes and I have to close the app manager

Comment

AlexJaye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Texas
At least I'm not alone on this issue! Haha. It started when upgrading to iOS 5 and hopefully will be fixed in a future release. I guess I'll send this to apple.com/feedback... and hope they get around to it.

Comment

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I actually just tried this and it was the same for me. I opened the weater app first to test. When i closed it and pulled the notification center down I gave it the usual 10-15 seconds and then it reflected the true temp and forecast. Of course the weather app will then appear fine if you open it directly.

I guess i never noticed because i always just the widget update itself.

Comment

richxps

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2008
same issue here, everytime i pull down to see the weather it changes. When i hope the stock app and than pull down the info center the degrees are different. ERR i hope this fix this soon, give us a damn live weather app atleast so my icon updates me of the temp.

Comment

MastahRiz

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
I had this problem today too after updating to 5.1.1. Here's a solution that worked for me:

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-help-15/weather-setting-not-saving-31309/#post174125

"1) Make sure your weather app isn't running (remove it from the task list).
2) Get iFile, SSH or whatever you want to access the filesystem.
3) Go to /var/mobile/Library/SyncedPreferences.
4) There, check for a file named "com.apple.weather.plist". Delete it.
5) Run the weather app again and configure it at your wish.
6) Check for changes (press Home and delete the app from the task manager), and open it back again. If everything was OK, your new settings were saved successfully."

Last edited:
Comment

shinobi-81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Looks like the database at Yahoo has a problem with data integrity, which may cause such update anomalies. Another possibility is that the two different entries (one manual and one automatic) use different cache servers and one of caches had not been properly updated yet.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.