Strange iOS 5 weather app issue...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AlexJaye, Jan 19, 2012.

1. AlexJaye macrumors regular

Every now and then when I open the weather app on my iPhone, this occurs. It sometimes gets the temperatures or daytimes different yet is looking in the same area at the same time. It is always a discrepancy between the "local weather" feature and the same city I manually add to Weather. The days are also wrong, as well. It's not a deal breaker but it is disappointing and confusing as I'm not sure sometimes which temperature is correct (obviously I can tell whether or not it's day or night).

Has anyone else had this issue? It's just weird.

Attached Files:

2. sirpots macrumors regular

weird coincidence that you posted this because I had this issue just last night.

3. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Having the same issue. A hard reset seems to correct the problem for me.

4. AlexJaye thread starter macrumors regular

Doesn't seem to correct the issue for me, it does it both before and after doing one of those.

5. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I've also had this issue multiple times. iOS 5.0.1 iPhone 4.

6. jmo1116 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Been having the exact same issue and it's so annoying. I can't even check the weather on the stock iPhone app? That's not very impressive...not sure how to fix it.

7. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Yea I've had this problem...apparently there is something wrong with the algorithms that check the local weather. Maybe it'll be fixed in 5.1

8. AlexJaye thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Jeez, I sure hope so! It's just annoying.

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Not fixed. I had this issue last night and am on iOS 5.1 beta 3.

10. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Same problem here. It's been a problem since I got my iPhone on October 21, 2011. It also says it's 25ºF outside when it's really 0ºF

32GB iPhone 4S running 5.0.1 - Verizon

11. Power Ranger macrumors member

12. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Same problem here. 4S running iOS 5.0.1. It doesn't matter whether I've got a specific location entered or if I've got "local weather" ticked where it checks every time you open it. It doesn't do it all the time, but when it does, it's almost always showing 34 degrees and the day is wrong.

13. orange42 macrumors 6502a

14. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Same issue here as well! It picks a city that it wants to do this to as well. Where all my other cities I have entered show night, Los Angeles seems to be the stubborn one and be stuck blue like your screenshot there. Thought my phone was just going crazy. Not a big deal for me, but would like to see it fixed soon.

15. sirpots macrumors regular

its weird because my will give me a completely different city sometimes and I have to close the app manager

16. AlexJaye thread starter macrumors regular

At least I'm not alone on this issue! Haha. It started when upgrading to iOS 5 and hopefully will be fixed in a future release. I guess I'll send this to apple.com/feedback... and hope they get around to it.

17. kicko macrumors 65816

I actually just tried this and it was the same for me. I opened the weater app first to test. When i closed it and pulled the notification center down I gave it the usual 10-15 seconds and then it reflected the true temp and forecast. Of course the weather app will then appear fine if you open it directly.

I guess i never noticed because i always just the widget update itself.

18. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

same issue here, everytime i pull down to see the weather it changes. When i hope the stock app and than pull down the info center the degrees are different. ERR i hope this fix this soon, give us a damn live weather app atleast so my icon updates me of the temp.

19. MastahRiz, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012

MastahRiz macrumors 6502

I had this problem today too after updating to 5.1.1. Here's a solution that worked for me:

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-help-15/weather-setting-not-saving-31309/#post174125

"1) Make sure your weather app isn't running (remove it from the task list).
    2) Get iFile, SSH or whatever you want to access the filesystem.
    3) Go to /var/mobile/Library/SyncedPreferences.
    4) There, check for a file named "com.apple.weather.plist". Delete it.
    5) Run the weather app again and configure it at your wish.
    6) Check for changes (press Home and delete the app from the task manager), and open it back again. If everything was OK, your new settings were saved successfully."

20. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

Looks like the database at Yahoo has a problem with data integrity, which may cause such update anomalies. Another possibility is that the two different entries (one manual and one automatic) use different cache servers and one of caches had not been properly updated yet.

21. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

My guess is that is looking at 2 different locations, both named mt pleasant.