Strange iPhone 4 Display Phenomenon (debunked)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spblat, Jun 28, 2010.

1. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I was playing with wallpaper effects and came across a strange phenomenon. If you take a 640x960 image and blacken every even row, the iPhone can't display the colors in the image. If you delete every odd row, the image displays fine. Here are two wallpapers you can try to prove this for yourself. (Source here: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Eta_Carinae_Nebula_1.jpg )

What do you make of this rather trivial issue?

Attached Files:

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

i think this is a dumb thread. :confused:

Is this supposed to prove something?

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Cool, something interesting for once :D

Let me try!

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I did notice that one is less vibrant than the other, but they both are colored - I think it has more to do with the original image than it does the iPhone display. Have you tried other images?

5. ginsengbomb macrumors member

I think this thread is interesting, and I'm relieved to see that not every thread on this bloody forum is intended to advance some "proof" of some issue, or whatever. If you think this thread is dumb, please relocate to another thread. Thanks!

6. fuzion macrumors 6502

... The OP is just saying he/she found something interesting w/ the display.

7. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

The OP needs to put CONFIRMED in the title...just my two pennies.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Was not able to duplicate this on my phone. Downloaded the full-resolution files to my library and they look identical.

9. spblat thread starter macrumors 6502a

spblat

I have, with the same result. Are you on an iPhone4 or earlier model?

10. spblat thread starter macrumors 6502a

spblat

Ok, weird. When I download the attachments above from my iPhone they both display properly. If you think this thread is dumb, you are dismissed and released from your obligation to read further. The rest of you, stay tuned, and I'll share more when I sort out what's going on or find a way for you to reproduce.

11. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I didn't look at them on my iPhone but I put them side by side on my desktop and the left one appears to be more saturated. As in, they are not the same image and one of them, in fact, has less color.

12. spblat thread starter macrumors 6502a

spblat

Yeah, that's because I was screwing around with the brightness on the images too, sorry about that. Anyway, I figured it out. I'm pretty sure it's the iTunes photo "optimizer" that's screwing it up. If anyone still cares, download the images to your computer, place them in a folder and have iTunes sync that folder to your photo album, then you'll see the issue, which is much less interesting now that it's iTunes causing it as opposed to some kind of quantum electrodynamic fluctuation related to the retina display's itty bitty pixels.

I think CluthThese's hypothesis has been proved :D