Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Okay...

So I am currently on my 3rd iPhone 6 replaced under AppleCare. The first one developed an antenna problem, the second a speaker problem, and now I am on #3 (a replacement refurb model obviously).

Since day one the battery life of this phone has been atrocious compared to the other 2 phones despite the same usage. I've had this phone for about 4 months now. The battery lasts almost 50% less DESPITE changing my mail syncing preferences and changing my background app settings (which had not been before). Additionally, I regularly close apps the fully, turn off WiFi and BT when not necessary, have screen brightness turned down, etc. The time between unplugging the phone in the morning and it dying is about 5-6 hours. The actual usage time in that period is very little.

Other symptoms include drastic drops in battery levels (i.e. 50% to 30% instantly), shutting off with over 20% battery life with no low battery warning (then indicating it needs a charge)... then after being plugged in coming back to life instantly with 30% battery.

I've been to the Genius Bar 3 times for this issue. Each time they tell me to change settings and I see no improvement, things have actually gotten worse. They check the battery health and it registers at 93%. They have made comments about my app usage, but nothing stands out as crazy and honestly the percentages are really just relative to what I'm doing (if the only app I used was the compass I would expect that to be a pretty high %).

I have restored iOS fully 2x. I have tried multiple times the "battery reset" involving running the battery down and leaving it off for over 10 hours. Additionally the 'time since last full charge' often is incorrect.

I feel like I keep getting the run around by the Genius Bar. I assure you, I am not a newb who doesn't know how to conserve battery life and considering my past 2 iPhone 6's and 2 iPhone 5's I'm pretty sure this is a hardware problem. Unfortunately, because Apple's diagnostic software says the battery is at 93%, they believe this proves everything is fine.

I feel as if I have done everything on the software end and user to resolve this. Maybe the battery is fine, but perhaps there is some other hardware issue occurring thats sucking down the battery life.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to handle this? I'm thinking one last visit to the genius bar and acting a little more assertive. I'll bring my PowerBook G4, better yet Newton, along for the ride to show that I've been a customer longer then they even know. Honestly, as much as I like Apple, if this is not resolved I don't see myself buying another iPhone. I have had too many issues.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Have you actually done a restore on your phone without restoring the backup? (Setup as new)

Turning off setting etc isn't needed. The battery will carry most people through the day with ease. Hell my 6plus sees me through 2.

My advice wipe the phone and set it up as new. Sign into iCloud and let it sync your contacts photos etc across and then install your apps fresh. That will solve your issue, if it was a hardware fault Apple would have picked it up when they tested your phone.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Have you actually done a restore on your phone without restoring the backup? (Setup as new)

Turning off setting etc isn't needed. The battery will carry most people through the day with ease. Hell my 6plus sees me through 2.

My advice wipe the phone and set it up as new. Sign into iCloud and let it sync your contacts photos etc across and then install your apps fresh. That will solve your issue, if it was a hardware fault Apple would have picked it up when they tested your phone.

Yes, one restore was from a backup and one was a complete and total wipe.

I don't have 100% confidence in apples diagnostic abilities nor their refurbishmet process.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Have you looked at your location settings? Sometimes these can remain on in the background when no apps are open. One feature called Frequent Locations can definitely cause the issue you are having.

Go to Settings\Privacy\Location Services and looks around to see if "Share My Location" is turned on or if any apps are set to always use location services.

Your System Services should look similar to this:

IMG_0667_zpss0louvod.png

IMG_0668_zpssiw90nth.png

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Have you looked at your location settings? Sometimes these can remain on in the background when no apps are open. One feature called Frequent Locations can definitely cause the issue you are having.

Go to Settings\Privacy\Location Services and looks around to see if "Share My Location" is turned on or if any apps are set to always use location services.

Your System Services should look similar to this:

IMG_0667_zpss0louvod.png

IMG_0668_zpssiw90nth.png

Thanks for the tip. The app location services were under control but I shut off a bunch of the unnecessary system location services.

We'll see where this takes us.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.