Strange iPhone Issue - Turns mute during call

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Vasi20, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Vasi20 macrumors newbie

Hello All,

So am new here and desperate to get some help from fellow members. Have been using an officially unlocked iPhone 4 in India for about 7 months now with no issues whatsoever. However, from the last 10 days or so I have been having the strange issue - my callers are unable to hear me, first they hear static and then nothing, all this happens within a few seconds in to a call. The Mic is working fine as I checked it using the voice memo. I tried everything from reset to restore. No luck so far.

I have been trying to recollect what must have gone wrong and think it has something to do with my last two recent updates - 4.3.4 and 4.3.5!

Can anyone here help me please?? If you are in my City (chennai) I promise to repay the help any which way!!!

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

If you have an apple store near you I would suggest making an appointment with a genius to have the iphone looked at.

Ive not read on the various forums of other users having this type of issue when updating to 4.3.4 or 4.3.5. These were mainly security patches.

Hope all gets resolved for you asap.

3. Vasi20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot.. but India doesn't have an Apple Store. I spoke to customer care and they say I can't get a replacement in India as it was purchased in UK :(

That leads to me a question.. is there a way I can downgrade from 4.3.5 (Basedband 4.10.01) to my earlier version, say 4.3.2? I may be thinking naive but I want my phone back!!

4. austin.e.ma macrumors newbie

I had this problem about a month ago, exactly as you described. However I was running ios 5 (I do not think that will make a difference). I ended up sending my phone in and getting a new one and it fixed it. However, I did notice that when I got my new phone and I tried to restore it from my most recent back up - it said the back up was corrupt. Therefore I figured maybe the mic problem was because of a corrupt back up.

Maybe try restoring to an older back up?

5. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

You're not just hitting mute with your ear are you? I've done that lots of times!

6. cdustybk macrumors member

It may be your carrier or the other person's carrier. I am on AT&T, and they have been "upgrading" a lot of the towers in our area. However, now that they are done with the towers, everyone has issues calling to and from our area.

Usually, when someone calls me when I'm at home, for example, I will answer and the poor service will cause the "mute" effect you described about 30 seconds into the call. However usually I can hear but the other person can't. Sometimes its reversed (for whatever reason).

But if both I and the person I am calling are 15 miles from my house, we can carry on a perfectly clear conversation.