Strange iPhone Problem - help appreciated!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thekjs88, Oct 26, 2013.

1. thekjs88 macrumors member

Sorry if this is going to be a book, but I want to make sure I'm giving a clear description of what's going on.

I got my 5S replaced Thursday evening. I was on the latest version of iOS and was backed up to iCloud as of that morning. I started to let the new phone restore at the Apple store but then left and it stopped. I got home and plugged it into my computer after restoring it to iCloud and it updated to the newest version of iOS via iTunes (I usually had done OTA).

Next morning: Wake up, open my texts and the main keyboard in Messages looked glitchy...there were grey stripes going across the keys. It did not do this when you went to the special characters screen or in any other app. I drive to work, listen to music on my phone, and then listen to music at work. I stop the music, and later go to listen to it again and there is no music on my phone. The phone in general begins acting weird...I opened Facebook and I wasn't logged into the app.

SO, I erased the phone when I got home and set it up, and then restored to the same iCloud backup from the morning before I got my replacement. Everything is fine, until this afternoon. Apps start crashing. I tried to do a hard reset (I think that's what it's called...sleep/wake and home button simultaneously)...after the phone went black...the white screen with the Apple logo popped up, but there was ALSO a progress bar below it, like it was loading something. It only got abut halfway (lasted a few seconds) and then phone started, and is very slow. Facebook again was logged out, and the Yahoo mail app is an all black screen where you can only see a few things. There are lots of other little weird things going on with my phone now also...it won't connect to my computer. I was trying to upload screenshots of the keyboard but it won't let me.

Sorry again for writing a book. Any ideas? Is there a way I can go back to the original version of iOS 7 and then update again via OTA? Do you think it's the phone?

Thanks for your help in advance!

2. dtsoll macrumors newbie

I think I would do a restore and set up as a new phone. Backup corrupted? Pita but it may work.

3. thekjs88 thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking about trying that too. If I do try that, and it ends up being something with the phone maybe...would I be able back up to the original backup? Thanks!

4. dtsoll macrumors newbie

Not sure, if it ends up working then I think the backup is not good?

----------

There are others who are far more knowledgeable than me here. I'd see what the gurus say.

5. dtsoll macrumors newbie

6. thekjs88 thread starter macrumors member

7. dtsoll macrumors newbie

8. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

Try this... http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/10/fix-activation-error-ios-7.html

9. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

10. thekjs88, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

thekjs88 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much! Was just going to report back that the full restore I did was working fine for about 30 hours. Now, I can't sync my phone and apps are crashing.

Going to try this right now. Thanks again! Will report back tomorrow.

11. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Strange iPhone Problem - help appreciated!

What your explaining seems like your iPhone is on a random timer of how long it works for after every time you restore.

Report back!

12. thekjs88 thread starter macrumors member

Hey, tried the DFU mode, same problem. Went to the Apple Store yesterday and the genius guy restored it again. Didn't seem any different than a regular restore but he said it was resetting the firmware or something. He said it SHOULD work.

It did...until about 5 minutes ago! App started freezing. Then I went to my music app...all gone! Seems fine other than that right now, I'm going to see if the condition deteriorates. Going in tomorrow and I hope they'll replace the phone.

13. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

At this point you need a replacement. You try to restore and setting up as new (not using backup)? Sorry if you did this and I did not read.

14. TurtleTomato macrumors newbie

I had the exact same issue: started new 5s activation at the store and the progress bar was only halfway loaded by the time I came home. I also had problems syncing music via iTunes. My solution was to erase all content and settings and set it up as a new phone.

15. KingArthurVI macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

Go under Settings -> General -> About -> Diagnostics & Usage. Do you see kernel panic logs there? My iPad mini used to behave exactly the way you described and turns out it was having kernel panics so I got it replaced.

16. thekjs88 thread starter macrumors member

Yup, tried as new and still had the same problems. Took it in today and they replaced it!

17. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Great. I hope your replacement has no problems.