Strange iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arthursiew, Jan 16, 2010.

1. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I was attemping to unlock somebody's iPhone until I noticed something. The side buttons and sleep/wake button was black. There was no serial number on the back, but there was a model number and FCC IDD with two Xs. I remember the model number which was A12XX. There was also no WiFi and Bluetooth. What could this be? I told him that I was going to contact him after I have more details. Is this a prototype? Fake iPhone?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

3. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Pictures, please? Of the back of the phone with the model and FCC numbers, and of the software running on the phone (About screen/screenshot would be good here).

-- Nathan

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Sounds like a Chinese knockoff.

Post some pics.....

5. celticpride678

I think that if we see pics, we can go from there.

6. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it could be a knock-off, but although those knock-off phones somewhat bear a physical resemblance to the real thing (and seem to gradually be getting better and better at approximating the look of the real thing), from what I've been able to tell reading about these things, the software that runs on them is generally downright terrible. So if it does turn out to be a knock-off, I wonder how the OP would not have noticed the crappy software, lack of App Store, etc. and still arrived at the conclusion that it is a genuine, if still "strange," iPhone.

-- Nathan

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

pics front and back

with the screen displayed and we should be able to tell you.

8. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I don't have the phone with me anymore. I remember that it was running 3.1.2 and when I first plugged it into my computer, it said that it was in recovery mode. It also displayed a message saying that it cannot make phone calls anymore and that I can't restore it. I remember comparing the phone to this picture, and it was exactly the same.

9. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Well, get it back, then!! :p

Sounds like it is a genuine iPhone. There are no hardware clones out there that I'm aware of which are so close to the Apple product that they can run the real iPhone OS on it.

It's probably an older prototype unit (perhaps of one of the ones specially manufactured for the Chinese market, where the government insisted that they be manufactured without built-in WiFi as a feature) that somehow escaped from Cupertino. There have been a handful of prototype units that have shown up now and again.

(BTW, which thread did that picture that you linked to come from?)

-- Nathan

10. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=493079