Strange Issue about YouTube

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by for this, May 19, 2015.

1. for this macrumors regular

I've noticed a strange problem about watching YouTube on my MDD 867DP with 2.0 GB RAM and Radeon 9800 Pro.

In general, YouTube plays very badly in 10.5.8 compared to 10.4.11 on the same Mac. I don't know when the problem started but I'm sure I used to watch YouTube without problem on 10.5.8.

Using the MV mentioned in another thread as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ejga4kJUts

In TenFourFox7450 17.0.9 without Flash enabled, the video is sluggish but watchable. It plays smoothly after enabling Flash.

In Safari with the hacked Flash plug-in, the video is smooth only when I "command-click" its link from this page: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+cranberries+zombie

I use the word "only" because the same video will be very sluggish to the point of unwatchable after I press command-R to reload the video page. Or when I just "click" the link from the search result page, and or when I paste the url, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ejga4kJUts , into Safari's blank address bar and hit Return. It's very sluggish even at 144P.

The ONLY way to make it watchable is "command-Click" from the search result page.

It seems YouTube acts differently even though it is the same video in 10.5.8.

On the other hand, in 10.4.11, Safari (with the same hacked Flash plug-in) plays the video fine, without this strange issue.

I think the issue is on the YouTube side. Since there is no problem with Vimeo.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

2. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I think it might be a glitch in your Leopard install - I've had unfathomable problems that were cured after a new install, other than that, maybe Leopard being more compatible than Tiger loads up more junk when visiting Youtube?

3. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

This is play crazy...I wasn't able to reproduce your results on my machines but I've just found on my PB 1.33, Youtube plays fine on Tiger Safari - even though it has Flash player 9, not the hack. Am I wrong thinking Youtube needs 11 or higher? It only uses 60% CPU too - TFF uses 100% playing choppy HTML5.

4. for this thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, YouTube doesn't need very new version of Flash. :)
    I use the hacked version for other web sites, kind of just in case.

I've found the same thing that if you can use Flash, it will use less CPU power, especially in old machine.

5. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Just found that with the Flash hack, CPU goes up to 80% watching the same clip - so I guess Flash 9 is optimal for Youtube playback.