Strange issue connecting displays

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BoneDaddy, Aug 21, 2015.

1. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Please help if you can.

I use two displays with a mid 2014 Macbook Pro retina 13". I use both thunderbolt ports, instead of one HDMI.

I have run into an odd problem. Both thunderbolt ports work fine with one of the wires in to the monitor, but the other can only be used in one. When I try and plug it into the first one, no display comes up. Only the second works. When I use the other, both will bring up display.

So the cable works fine in one thunderbolt port. But it's as if the other port doesn't like it.

Can anybody point me in the right direction on a solution? Thanks.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Get a new cable or use an HDMI, it seems to be cable connected and nothing to do with the computer from your description.

3. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Well that's the thing. The cable works fine in the second port, but not in the first. I am baffled as to why it would work in only 1. That's why it seems it's the Mac to me. But then again, I've used HDMI on the thunderbolt dock, and HDMI to MDP adapter, and they both work on both ports.

So how could the cord be broken for one port, but fine for the other?

Thank you.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I have no idea, but that is not the issue. The issue is having cables that work when and where you want them to if that means changing a cable then change it.

5. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Oh, you better believe I'll be changing the cable. But I'm the type of guy who hates to blow off something I don't understand. So I'm still curious as to why the cable, that will be replaced, works on one, but not the other. It's killing me.