Strange Issue - Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ladyred, Sep 19, 2009.

1. ladyred macrumors newbie

ladyred

Since upgrading to Snow Leopard a few days ago, I have noticed this strange issue. I have attached a screenshot of one of the issues for you to see. this is happening on both of our MacBooks which are just a couple of weeks old.

Specs are 2.13 Intel Core 2 Duo and 2 GB 800 MHz ram in both systems.
    Free space on the hard drives is 125 GB or so.

One of the issues is upon going into system preferences and choosing the desktop and screen saver icon the available pictures to choose from are blank squares and then they populate. This was not like that on leopard. I did attach a screenshot of this in case I did not explain it right.

The other issue is a bit similar in that if you open up one of our stacks and if it is showing the items in grid mode they too are just empty boxes for a few seconds.

These issues are present on both macs. We do not have the same programs installed on our macs nor do we have the same setup for the stacks.

Anyone have any insight?

Attached Files:

2. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

3. todd2000 macrumors 68000

It's not really an "issue", it's just loading the thumbnails, and icon previews. Mine does it too some times. It should be a quick process though. Is your taking abnormally long to load the thumbnails/icon previews?

4. ladyred thread starter macrumors newbie

ladyred

thanks everyone for responding back. It does not take a huge amount of time for the thumbnails to load.

My concern is that it was not present on Leopard. So bearing that in mind I was wondering if perhaps one of two different scenarios.

1. That 10.6 is doing that to save resources for other things - thats a strong possibility

or

2. That even though they say 2 GB ram is enough it really should be more.

5. gorjan macrumors 6502

6. ladyred thread starter macrumors newbie

ladyred

I did an upgrade.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

My MacBook is the same way. I think it may have to do with the Cocoa re-written Finder and what not, but not sure.

It only really happens noticibly on a fresh reboot or the first time accessing the Finder window, after that it's much faster.

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

That might be your problem. More issues seem to be with upgrades than with an clean install.

I did a clean install and so far no problems. I had a look at the System Preferences on mine just now to see, and it loads the thumbnails instantly with me.

9. ladyred thread starter macrumors newbie

ladyred

That is the same thing I found too .You may be right with the rewrite of finder may be the problem ..Just strange indeed..

I know that so many other people are having all sorts of issues.

I am going to do a clean install as well.

It wont be for a few days though. Have to work..

Thanks for your help

10. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Well, considering Snow Leopard's new 'thing' is that it's all about leaving the UI responsive by spawning seperate threads and all that, it's probably just not locking up and letting the thumbnails load whenever they can.