Strange Issue Thinking About Nuking and Repaving. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by effectivepull, Nov 16, 2012.

1. effectivepull macrumors newbie

I am running a MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Cor 2 Duo, 4GB RAM upgraded to Mountain Lion (10.8.2).

Over the last few days, when I click and drag icons on my desktop, the items I dragged will not release. Doesn't matter if I move to Chrome or another program or try to click the trackpad again, the item(s) remains highlighted and acts as if I am still holding down the trackpad trying to find a place to drag it to. (I hope that makes sense).

The only way I can fix this is to relaunch the Finder but it only temporarily solves the problem until I click and drag again.

So, 2 things:

1. Anyone know how to fix this?
    2. If not, I'm thinking of nuking and repaving. I am assuming that I use the install DVDs, then upgrade to Lion, then Mountain Lion through the App Store?

Thanks for your help or any suggestions you have.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Check your battery. Sometimes they swell and push on the bottom of the trackpad, causing issues just like that.

jW

3. effectivepull thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not too technical mechanically so should I make an appointment with a Genius to have a look or is it easier than I envision?

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just physically look at it. The battery on that one should come out really easily.

jW

5. Mikey-Mike macrumors member

Mikey-Mike

This

If this doesn't work then it's usually hardware related.