Strange issue with Mac Mini G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dylanlewis2000, Jul 31, 2014.

1. dylanlewis2000 macrumors member

Hi All,

I have a really strange issue which affects my Mac Mini. To put it bluntly, I have named it Lazarus as it keeps coming back to life.

It will work fine for a few weeks, but all of a sudden it will turn on and not come back at all. It appears as if its dead to the world, no lights, sounds or fans spin up. I have tried a number of resets, taking it apart, leaving the BIOS battery out ETC all to no avail, however if its left alone, unplugged for a few months it will power back on.

I would like to keep this going for as long as possible, anyone know why it does this?

2. harrymatic macrumors 6502

Sounds like a faulty power brick to me, probably due to failing capacitors. Are you able to test it with another PSU?

3. dylanlewis2000 thread starter macrumors member

4. harrymatic macrumors 6502

It seems it shares the same PSU as the original Core 2 Duo Mac Minis, on eBay you can get a new one for abour £30.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I concur that a failing power supply may be the cause of your problems.

6. dylanlewis2000 thread starter macrumors member

Humm, what happens to the power supply to make it work one minute and then stop the next. In my heart of hearts i'm not sure if i should just bank that £30 and put it towards a new second hand mini / macbook

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's what failing capacitors tend to do. They sometimes hold a proper charge and allow it to boot, other times not.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Well... The best way to answer this question is whether the G4 is doing what you need it to do. If it is doing what you ask then why invest more than the $30.00? If it isn't then the money is best spent on a new machine only if you need it.

9. dylanlewis2000 thread starter macrumors member

I've got to be honest, its a bit slow when processing photos (Shooting in Raw) and it can't handle YouTube through the browser...

I used to have a MBP years ago but when that died i replaced it with a Windows machine.

I love the form factor of the 12" G4 so I may keep an eye out for one on Ebay.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Also check shopgoodwill.com.

11. dylanlewis2000 thread starter macrumors member

I'd love to but i'm in the UK ;'(

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am not sure about the retailers over there since I am in the United States...