Strange Issue with Mac partition- help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fox11, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Fox11, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

Fox11 macrumors member

About 2 months ago, I booted up my Macbook Pro (mid-2007) and Mac OS was running unbearably slow, so I gave it a reboot... and then it did what it still does now, it showed the grey/white screen with the apple logo and a little progress bar, which goes away after awhile, but Mac OS never starts up, it stays hung on the grey apple logo and spinning wheel.

I tried repairing through Disk Utility on the Snow Leopard Install disc- it gives me the error "Invalid Node Structure" and when I go to repair, it says "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required." and then "Error: Disk Utility can't repair this disk...etc etc."

No luck on doing a restore copy to an external drive, or creating a disk image.

I've now run Diskwarrior and it tells me it's successfully built a new directory for the disk BUT "The new directory cannot replace the original directory because of a disk malfunction."

So the STRANGE thing is- I said this happened 2 months ago right? I've been using Windows 7 every day on another partition with no problems. AND although the MacHD will not mount as a target disk on my old iBook, I can see all the files through Windows and HAVE done a basic backup of most files (though not a perfect copy, as it's Mac to FAT). They're there.

So I'm trying to figure out... A) If I can get a proper copy of the drive, or should I just give up and wipe the drive... losing any new applications and settings from the past 6 months or so (last time I backed up). Optimally, I'd like to get a clone I can migrate from when I re-install the OS. and B) Should I get a new HD, is this one on its' way out, or..?

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Disk warrior fixed it for me when I had that problem. Are you using the latest version?

3. Fox11 thread starter macrumors member

I'm using 4.3, which I -think- is the latest..

4. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

It is. If diskwarrior can't fix it, chances are pretty good no other utility can. It always seems to be able to fix things others can't. Perhaps my situation was different somehow. It was quite awhile ago.

5. Fox11 thread starter macrumors member

Okay so... I'll try Diskwarrior a few more times I guess, and if it's still a no-go... wipe the partition :eek: and try a re-install of the OS. Frustrating..... -_-

Anything I should know there AND even though I've been running Windows on the same drive for months.. could that Mac partition still be done for? Should I be looking for a new drive ASAP?