Strange issue with Mac Pro 3,1

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GermanCorbs, Feb 14, 2017.

1. GermanCorbs macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I just recently moved into a commercial space for my design studio, and I took my 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (8-core) to the studio. I'm having a few interesting problems with the USB ports on my Mac Pro when it's at the studio. It seems like I can only have one device plugged into the computer. If I have my USB Apple keyboard plugged in, none of the remaining ports will work (my iPhone won't even detect a charge). If I plug my Wacom drawing tablet into the keyboard hub, the keyboard stops working, but the tablet works. If I unplug the keyboard and plug a different device in, that device will work, but another additional devices won't. And the cycle continues.

Last night I took the computer back to my apartment, and all the USB drives work properly, but I ran into the same issue when I took my computer back to the studio this morning.

I've tried a SMC reset, PRAM reset, and reinstalled the OS.

The outlets are putting out 120-123 volts.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks for you help!

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Could be that your MP (the power supply or circuitry) is on the edge of delivering enough juice to the USB system and that the power at the commercial space is a bit "dirty". You could try a power conditioner to see if that clears it up.

3. GermanCorbs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion! That makes sense to me. I'm not extremely knowledgeable about electrical stuff. Is there a specific conditioner or type of conditioner that I should buy? From my research, they look like a beefed up power strip, but that's really all I know about them.