Strange issue with macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whatmac, Dec 21, 2014.

1. whatmac macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am quite new in the mac world, I recently bought a new macbook pro 13" MD101B/A (pre retina) that was perfectly working until a few days ago.

When I was surfing in the internet I suddenly hear a strange noise, a kind of click, I think coming from de hard disk... afterwards the cooler jumped in very loudly for a few seconds, then the mac continue working apparently OK.

Since then, the battery lasts only for about 2 hours and the mac gets quite warm

Did this happen to someone of you? any idea of how it can be fixed?

Thanx

2. dyt1983, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

3. whatmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. I run the diagnostic and no issue came out, apparently the hardware seems to be fine but I still have the same problem, the mac gets overheated and the battery lasts for a maximum of 2 hours

Might it be a virus or something similar? I don't have antivirus nor firewall as I understand that macs are hardly ever affected by viruses.

I did not update it to Yosemite as it was working perfectly until now...

Any other idea or suggestion?

Thnx

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I doubt it's a "virus".

Next time the Macbook seems to be overheating, open "Activity Monitor" (in the utilities folder) and browse around.

Check out "disk activity" and "CPU".

In CPU activity, do you notice that any process is taking up an overly-large amount of CPU usage?

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Sounds like an issue with yosemite.

Back up all your files and then do a clean install of yosemite.

6. whatmac thread starter macrumors newbie

The issue seems to be solved, I cleaned up the history and the mac seems to work fine again.

I am not sure to update to Yosemite as my mac is from 2012 and have only 4gb memory, it is working perfectly without the update.

Thx for you comments!

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You should update to Yosemite for security reasons alone.

Security is paramount, even if it's at the expense of performance.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Depending on his needs, and usage habits, I'd not be so quick to recommend an upgrade. He may be perfectly safe without Yosemite and why introduce more possible problems. At this stage he should correct the problem he's experiencing now before introducing any more variables.