Strange Issue with MBP-mid 2010 PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FcNo, Dec 3, 2010.

1. FcNo macrumors member

Okay, so I have been dealing with this strange issue in regards to resetting my PRAM on my macbook pro. I have the 2.66ghz 15inch version, all stock.
    Heres the issue:
    Ever since I updated to EFI 1.9, my macbook pro has been super laggy, wireless internet speed fluctuates from slow to fast, external mouse SUPER jerky, etc...
    I would try to do the PRAM reset, however I noticed something really unusual.

I would dim the brightness level BEFORE I shutdown the computer. Once the computer is off, I turned it on, held the button to execute the PRAM reset, the computer restarts, the Chime would occur, however my screen's brightness does NOT reset to its default settings.

So pretty much the computer would pretty much act the same way it was acting with all my freezing and mouse jerk issues. Hence, PRAM has not reseted the default settings. sigh

I have contacted apple and they have replaced my harddrive, slimdrive, and some sata wire. However this didnt solve anything.

So, after this I called again and SPECIFICALLY indicated that my logicboard may be the issue. After arguing with one simpleton for an hour, he transfers my call to a second level advisor. I spoke with the guy and he did the pram reset and saw that his computer did the brightness reset. He then gave the okay for a logicboard replacement.

A week goes by and my computer still didnt come, so I call apple again to ask them what the heck is going on. I talk to an advisor and they tell me that its being on hold because the problem couldn't be reproduced. So I carefully explain to the advisor what its not doing and she understood and said she would send an okay to replace the logic board.

When I get my macbook pro back I read the paper saying that no repair was done because no problems were found. I once again started the mac and executed the PRAM reset and what do u know....SAME THING. I call back and i spoke with another advisor and she sent me a .dmg file to record all my setting and things so she could send it in the the engineers to look at and will contact me in three days...

Now i have no idea what i should do if they dont decide to fix my macbook, I'll be stuck with a crappy $2,000 computer that performs less than my netbook.... If anyone has ANY ADVICE or suggestions I would REALLY appreciate it!!

-Herbert M.

2. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

If it's a logic board problem, I don't know that there's anything you can do but be nice but firm and persistent in getting the matter resolved. The technician probably didn't get the memo down in time before they packaged it up and shipped it back.

This happened to me too with an albeit smaller problem: My bottom case was warping and sent it in, I had told them that it was warping when it heated up but the report came back saying they had done some "realignment" to the case. I called back later that week because it had started warping again at the same temperatures, got a different tech who thoroughly detailed the problem and they sent it back to me with the top case, bottom case both replaced.

It's free overnight shipping they give you, so be a little patient with them and it should work out in the end. If not, you can probably complain to some higher ups and they may offer you an exchange.

3. FcNo thread starter macrumors member

I hope man, this issue has been realllyyy frustrating. Im thinking about going into the apple store and performing the PRAM reset in their faces so they can see what im talking about... It sucks because in order to notice the crappy performance you have to use the computer for more than 10 minutues and it'll start to act all funny....sigh I will never purchase a mac from apple again!