Strange issues in OSx caused by botocamp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chimaobi, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Chimaobi, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

Chimaobi macrumors newbie

(2nd edit. MODS, please, if you can assist me. I have somehow posted this in the wrong section (had multiple tabs open), please place it correctly as I do not have authority to do this
    1st edit., lol. Silly typo in the thread title, I can't find the place to edit that. If the mods can, please do).

Hello all.

This is posted in the bootcamp section, because I imagine my issues are connected to my recent installation of W7.

I've been having strange issues on my unibody early 09 MBP as of late. Just for starters, my permissions and the disk itself checks out just a-ok with DU and I have latest Bootcamp drivers 3.02 downloaded from the apple website last week.

When booting up in OS X, the internal speakers or (headphones if connected) don't produce sound. Instead, when I enter Sound preferences to check, the system has selected Soundflower (2ch). This happens repeatedly, and I don't even think I've ever used it...

Second problem.

I just installed W7 on a bootcamp partition. Ever since, things have happened to my mac which seem inexplicably linked. First: the battery time sucks when in W7, we all know that. But when I boot back into my Mac the battery shows 00:00 or 0% for a rather long time plus it says 'Condition: replace soon' or 'replace now'. This has never happened before. To my surprise, despite displaying 0% the battery doesn't die and after a while it returns to normal (no condition warning and battery is suddenly at xx% again).

Third problem.

My trackpad becomes unresponsive in OSx. That is, the four finger swipe and the three finger swipe no longer work even though they always have...

Lastly, my network card (???) has stopped working in OSx. Airport will show the bars which indicate it is connected at full, but I get 'not connected to the internet' message in the browser. Also in the Network Preferences I get the a red 'bulb' on the right panel saying not connected.

Anybody have a clue what this is about, and what can be done to remedy this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I doubt this is caused by the Boot Camp drivers that you've installed on your Windows partition. Sounds like you're having some right issues with OS X. If I were in your position, I would reinstall OS X from scratch (or at least install OS X on a third partition and see if you still get problems on that one and thus rule out hardware issues). Do you experience any of these problems when you're in Windows?

As for the battery life when in Windows, I would say that I get very good battery power from Windows 7. On my late 2009 MacBook Pro, I can get up to around 4-5 hours of battery from it.

3. Chimaobi thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Grannyville.

I'm surprised to hear you say that about the battery, I've been reading around and I've gotten the impression that due to the Apple drivers or such W7 and Unibodies (macs in general) don't communicate well (something to do with the dual processors). My mac heats up like crazy, fans start blasting and I get 58 minutes left when the battery is at 97%.

Never had any problems with osx before the W7 install, and it's a brand new harddisk too. When running on the W7 partition I can swipe (well, not with four fingers as W7 doesn't have that kind of function) and click to drag with a tap etc. Eerie that this happens now, so I'm really thinking this must be the bootcamp partition screwing things up..,

As for a re-install, gawd no. But unless I hear from others I'll consider that of course.

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I'm not yanking your chain about the battery life I get on Windows 7 on my laptop. I am very impressed with the number of hours I get. I'm sorry to hear that you get very poor performance from your battery when running Windows. :( I've been very happy with running Windows on Apple hardware and will continue to run future iterations of Windows on future iterations of the MacBook Pro. :)

I understand your suspicion about Boot Camp breaking Mac OS X. I have Windows Live Mesh for Mac installed on my Mac partition to sync folders between my laptop and desktop. The app broke after Software Update crashed and I could no longer get Mesh to startup. It made no sense that Software Update was the cause but Mesh ran perfectly before Software Update crashed.

5. Chimaobi thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed, per your advice, I am re-installing OS X. Hopefully, that will solve this problem.

Well, I can't understand what differs in our batteries since they have been in use about the same time - strange that I only get an hour on W7.

For communication between my mac and Windows partition I am using Macdrive. What's the specific difference between that and Mesh (or, what does Mesh actually do)? Never heard of that. :p

Thanks for your advice anyway, Grannyville - much appreciated.

If anyone else has any input would be glad to hear it.

Will return here if problems persist after re-install and restoration.

Kindly,

Chimaobi

6. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Windows Live Mesh is a program that Microsoft developed that allows me to sync up to 5GB of files up to the cloud and to my registered computers. I mainly use it so to sync my the files, such as my university work, on my laptop running Snow Leopard to my desktop running Windows 7 and vice versa.
    It also helps me by syncing everything to my Windows partition on my laptop so that I don't have to worry about having a FAT32 partition on my laptop.