Strange issues since wiping MBP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Diiiiips, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Diiiiips macrumors regular

I upgraded my 2011 MBP to El Cap a few days ago but Safari was just grinding to a halt so I gave it a day but it didn't make any difference. I decided to wipe and go back to Lion.

I'm back on Lion but Safari has the odd issue. I can't work out whether it's just because it's an old OS and some pages aren't optimised for it or what. Like for example, on the Twitter home page when I click on a tweet nothing happens. Previously the tweet would expand and I could see replies, etc.

Also, when I go to someones Instagram page the pictures are just so blown up I can only see part of one pic before scrolling down and seeing a big part of another pic.

I'm not sure whether it's a setting I need to change or I just need to upgrade to a newer OS?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Is it just Safari having issues? DO you see app launch hanging and beach balls when trying to do there things? Like you start to type and nothing happens for a couple seconds? Those are all symptoms of a dying drive. Less common, but a bad drive cable can also cause this.

3. Diiiiips thread starter macrumors regular

A little but now I'm on Lion it's pretty quick again.

Anything I can do to prevent the hd dying? Swapping it for an SSD I'm guessing? Think I might just eBay the machine in a few months and pickup a new Macbook or MBP with Skylake.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If it is just Safari, you may have something else going on.... but if other apps are doing this it may be a dying drive and other than getting a new one there is not much else to do. Hopefully you have made a good backup.