Strange iTunes balance?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Eminemdrdre00, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

I just got a $25 iTunes gift card for my birthday. I bought the Batmobile game for my iPhone for .99 and that brought be down to an even $24. Then I purchased Wolfenstein3D for $4.99...but now my balance is $18.96. Anyone know why?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Ever heard of TAX? Some states charge it for online transactions.

3. Eminemdrdre00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

I have heard of TAX. Didnt know there was tax in the iTunes store. Thanks for clearing it up.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I believe that iTMS charges the sales tax rate for the state in which you live/billing address for credit card. They collect in all states with a sales tax, unlike, say, Amazon.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I would love to live in a state where the tax was just over 1%.

6. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

I've never been able to figure out a straight answer regarding the the iTunes tax situation. From what I've been able to piece together, they don't charge regular sales tax per se. Some states implemented "download" taxes. For some states these equal sales taxes, but it seems for most it's a lesser amount. In CT it's 1% (our sales tax is 6%). In effect it's basically an iTunes tax because in order to charge it the good must be sold as a download and the offerer has to have a point of presence in the state.

7. Eminemdrdre00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

I'm in CT too! I don't have a credit card connected to my account though. So if I put in a different address, and change my state to one without sales tax, will I not have to pay it?