Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
I'm wondering if anybody else has noted any other laggy iTunes syncing with their iPad. For example, you plug in the iPad to the USB cable and iTunes sees it just fine. Then you would select which music, movers, or whatever you want to transfer and hit the "apply" button. Then iTunes just seems to hang for a little bit eventually bringing up the spinning beach ball for a little bit. Probably 30+ seconds later the iPad actually starts the sync process. All in all it seems that it takes at least s couple of minutes to sync even if you're doing something as simple as a settings change that requires syncing.

Monk Edsel

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Mine syncs right away, much faster than it syncs with my iPhone even. Maybe your computer is due for a reboot?

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Well, I tried restarting my iMac (2009 27") and that didn't work. I restored the iPad back to factory defaults so I could start from a clean slate. That didn't work. I decided to time the syncing process. It ends up taking 2 minutes exactly to initiate the syncing process and 2 more minutes to do the sycing itself. For example, I drag a single song over to sync. It then takes 2 minutes before the iPad itself starts the syncs. Then it takes another full 2 minutes before the syncing ends and the iPad is ready to use again.

Now, I decided to try the sync process on my 13" MBP and it works flawlessly. So I'm guessing there is something f'ed up with iTunes on my iMac for some reason. Is there a recommended way to reinstall iTunes to see if that fixes the problem?

*Update*
Interestingly enough 100% removing all traces of iTunes from my system (as per the official Apple support site instructions) and reinstalling iTunes 9.1 from scratch seems to have fixed the issue. No more insane sync times or beach balls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.