Strange language question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hafr, May 1, 2012.

1. hafr macrumors 68030

For some reason, two alternatives in my right click menu (e-mail with attachment and folder actions setup) have changed language, and stay in that language no matter which language I choose to have the system in.

Prior to this, I have never, ever, touched the language settings except for when choosing keyboard setup during the install...

Does anyone know how to fix this?

[​IMG]

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You might try trashing:
    /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist​
    Then relaunch Finder.

3. hafr thread starter macrumors 68030

Tried it, then 'killall Finder' in Terminal. It's still the same...

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you double-checked your language settings in System Preferences? Perhaps switch to another language, then switch back.

5. hafr thread starter macrumors 68030

Yup, that was the first thing I tried actually. Those two options never change no matter what language I choose (you get immediate change by relaunching Finder)...

I set up folder actions a few days ago, everything was in English. Today I was going to change them, and those two options had changed languages. I have not installed any software during this time, and as I said before I haven't touched the language settings, ever. This is a real mystery :)

6. chown33 macrumors 604

In Disk Utility.app, perform a Disk Verify.

A friend of mine recently mentioned a client of his was seeing odd Finder menu names. It turned out to be disk damage. It was repairable, but if it goes on for a long time it might not be.

7. hafr thread starter macrumors 68030

Did that, and a repair permissions. The only thing found was a group thing on the com.apple.alf.plist, which has to do with the firewall... Fixing it surprisingly enough didn't fix my issue :)

I can't even find anything about this on Google. I don't know if I suck at coming up with search strings or if this issue is just that rare.

8. hafr, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012

hafr thread starter macrumors 68030

It worked, thanks a lot :)

---
    ...but now Finder relaunches every 30 or so seconds. Great :p I'll keep on googling for an answer and post a new thread if I can't fix it.

The lesson here is "better the devil you know" ;)

---
    Turns out it's the software for Google Drive causing Finder to crash. Here I was thinking that it was going to be the first Google service, except for maps and search, that I actually was going to use :)

"02/05/12 09:57:38,977 [0x0-0x92092].com.google.GoogleDrive: 2012-05-02 09:57:38.975 Google Drive Icon Helper[1405:9303] Inject result: 0" precedes every single Finder crash in the Console.

9. chown33 macrumors 604

Safe Boot disables all but a few system extensions, startup items, launch agents, launch daemons, etc. So when Safe Boot fixes the problem, it means you have one of those that's causing the problem. Finding it can be tedious or difficult, but at least Safe Boot identifies the domains where the problem lies.

There are several places to look for extensions, startup items, etc.

System-wide:
    /Library/LaunchAgents
    /Library/StartupItems
    /System/Library/LaunchAgents
    /System/Library/LaunchDaemons
    /System/Library/StartupItems
    The last three should only contain Apple-provided items, but it's not uncommon for 3rd-party software to install there, even when their developers should know better.

Per-user:
    ~/Library/LaunchAgents
    ~/Library/StartupItems

There are additional locations, but those are the likely ones in most cases (KEXTs, kernel extensions, are unlikely except as device-drivers).

I don't know what kind of element Google Drive is, so it might take a while to figure out where it resides.

10. hafr thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. It turns out there is a problem with running several folder sync programs (such as Google Drive and Dropbox) at the same time. A reinstall of the 10.7.3 combo update solved the issue, as was advised by a lot of people online...