Strange LED Issue--Will I get the upgraded MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by glennrking, Oct 24, 2008.

1. glennrking macrumors newbie

I bought my MacBook Pro late this last February when the refreshed the processor (I have 2.4ghz 15" model). I noticed when I was watching DVD's and the screen went dark that a streaked red line goes through the middle of my screen. It is very faint, more of a pink, it can't be noticed when the screen is not powered, and its not dead pixels. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew what Apple normally does with screen issues. Specifically, do they have replacement LED's, or do they just replace the computer. If they did have replacement LED's I wonder how long they would hold on to the older models. I am still under warranty. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Glenn

2. Knolly macrumors 6502a

You will NOT get an upgraded Macbook Pro because of warranty. They have replacements.

The only exceptions I have heard of are when things become completely ridiculous, such as half a dozen replacements that all were dead, etc. An LED won't do it.

3. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

It has been my experience that Apple will make every attempt to fix the problem. They have a good supply of parts for previous generation machines for just this purpose. If they cannot fix the issue, they will replace with a comparable machine from the current lineup.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If your machine is in warranty and you can demostrate the fault at the AppleStore, they will probably take your machine of you for a coupl eof days/weeks (depending on the store). Apple will only replace the part that's affected, if it's the LED display, then it'll be the top case which houses the TFT, iSight. They won't however change the entire machine when they can change a part.

Apple has a inventory to hold parts for older systems for a maximum of five years, I read it somewhere...
    This will cover users who have purchased systems at the end of the line ans have AppleCare thus clearance stock.

5. fongyuen macrumors 6502

this was my experience:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=580000

so i'm pretty sure they won't replace it on the first time around. they do have replacement parts, although the part that is a pain is waiting around for the part to arrive at the store if they don't have it in stock. but you should be able to hold on to your computer in the meanwhile.