Strange liquid spill/boot problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by electron1948, Nov 10, 2014.

1. electron1948 macrumors newbie

MBA 13", early 2014. MD760. A1466 820-3437-B

Spilled liquid all cleaned off OK and carefully dried for 3 days. Will startup OK *only* if the left I/O ribbon is removed. Connecting the ribbon after boot up puts laptop to sleep, remove ribbon, touch power button and wakes back up!

All keys on keyboard functioning correctly. Will not charge, mag power led off. Any suggestions?

I have main schematic and board layout. Need schematic for i/o board.
    PS - not my mba, it's the daughter's!

2. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

Sound like the liquid damaged the LIO board. Pretty straight forward. And the machine won't charge because the IO board has to be unplugged to boot. The MagSafe connector is on the IO board.

Sounds like you just need to change the Left IO board. They are pretty cheap.

Source - Ex Apple genius

3. electron1948 thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for your thoughts. That was my gut feeling but I'd like to prove it as getting the board in the UK costs a minimum of $60 plus (if unlucky) import duty & 20% tax! This machine is so new that parts are still fairly rare.

No charging takes place even with the ribbon connected and I assume an MBA normally charges while asleep.

4. PNDshnik macrumors newbie

Hi, my MD760. A1466 is not charging after short repaire. I have not schematic to fix it. Can you give me it?

5. electron1948 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had to buy it like everyone else so I'm afraid you will have to do the same:

A1466-820-3437-B.pdf

from

getnotebookschematic.com

If you need an I/O board I have a good one for sale that I didn't need.

Good luck!