Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BASRPH

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2010
Central Illinois
I recently signed into ICloud on my Mac and received a message that my ICloud ID was attempting to sign in near St. Paul, MN. I am in central Illinois. I received the same message after another sign-in about 30 minutes later. I approved the sign-in and was sent a numeric code on my phone to enter. Is there a setting on my Mac that I need to edit if it thinks I am in Minnesota?

ThatSandWyrm

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2017
Indianapolis
I recently signed into ICloud on my Mac and received a message that my ICloud ID was attempting to sign in near St. Paul, MN. I am in central Illinois. I received the same message after another sign-in about 30 minutes later. I approved the sign-in and was sent a numeric code on my phone to enter. Is there a setting on my Mac that I need to edit if it thinks I am in Minnesota?
It may be determining your location based on where your ISP's connection to the net is, not your connection to the ISP. Since I switched to a local fiber-optic ISP, Apple always thinks that I'm logging in from two cities north of where I actually am. Which happens to be the location of the ISP's home office.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.