Strange MacBook battery behaviour...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by StuartCH, Oct 8, 2011.

1. StuartCH macrumors member

Hi all, so my friend has this MacBook (Non unibody, Nvidia 9400M) that I'm wanting to buy from him, nice clean condition and it all runs great and hasn't got any performance problems, but there is a glaring problem with the battery; The MacBook does NOT turn on without the charger plugged in but still runs on the battery once unplugged afterwards (I.E. doesn't shut off instantly) and the MacBook has a hard time indicating the percentage of battery life left. Another silly thing is that the battery is completely fine, we tried it in another friends MacBook and it was A-OK, so I'm suspecting that this MacBook has some sort of motherboard fault? I mean sure I can just run it when it's plugged and then unplug it, but what if the MacBook needed to restart or I needed to shut down and I wasn't near a plug socket, thats where this problem would just get annoying and I need it for it's portability (trading up from original iPad) and I already have a Mac Mini as a desktop so not being able to turn it on and off while mobile will aggravate me a great deal.
    Any resolutions for this predicament?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I would not get the macbook. Try taking it to apple to see how much it would cost to repair. How much does he want for it? I have seen refurbished unibodys for 680$

3. StuartCH thread starter macrumors member

I'm in the UK and he's only wanting £350 for it.