Strange MacBook case!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hogweed, Mar 13, 2009.

1. hogweed macrumors newbie

Could anybody identify what's gone wrong here please? I inherited this from someone, didn't really know what it was supposed to be like, sold it on, and now the guy's complaining that it’s broken... well, obviously it's not BROKEN as such, but I suppose I see what he means - the top case doesn’t look like other ones I've since seen - it has these funny slits in it!

Anybody know why? Is it from a different model? Can I just replace it with the correct top case?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

not sure what caused it but have them go to their local Mac store, top cases are replaced since it's a known issue.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

They'll do it for free even if it's out of applecare.

4. hogweed thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, you mean they made some wrong? I thought maybe it was off a different model...

5. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Your macbook has the right top case on it, it's just broken as a result of pish design. It's a known issue with the plastic macbooks. The plastic's too weak so the palm rests and other parts of the top case often crack after a while. (my friend prevented it for a year by just not ever closing the laptop, even on her desk. As soon as she started closing it to bring it into uni hers cracked just like yours)

Because it's a design defect Apple'll replace the top case for free.

6. hogweed thread starter macrumors newbie

Ermm... it doesn't seem to be broken - these slots look precision machined to me!

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They may look like they were done on purpose, but the case just cracks very cleanly.

8. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

If you look on the screen half of the macbook there are 2 little ridges, one on the top left, one top right. These are causing the bottom half to crack when you close the macbook.

9. littleg1 macrumors newbie

Broken Case

So apple will replace the top case even if you don't have applecare? I have the same issue with mine except for black. The guy I bought mine from it broke 2 days before I bought it from him. Will they do it in store or will you have to send it in?

10. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

It's extremely common, I don't know anyone with a Macbook that hasn't eventually had it crack. Bsheridan's right, it usually is the ridges that do it (when the case is closed like I said before.) They're quite sharp and the plastic's quite weak.

http://******.com/?q=cracked+macbook+case

Image search it if you're still in doubt

11. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

12. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

The correct response to this topic is :

why did you sell the macbook? :(

13. hogweed thread starter macrumors newbie

Ummm... not sure how that helps, really, but... because I didn't want it
    for myself?

14. OneBlueFire macrumors member

OneBlueFire

The cuts look precision made because the plastic we made to crack that way to keep the integrity of the body intact. The polycarbonate plastic was engineered to crack in straight lines and not in shards or angled cuts (to prevent end-users from suing them due to cuts from jagged pieces of broken plastic). Think of it as "Safety Plastic."

About replacing the top case for free: If it's within the Applecare or Warrantee period, yes they will. If not, they'll dismiss it as normal wear and tear. You can TRY to call Applecare and see what they can do for you. Just be really nice and explain your predicament (sometimes begging and crying helps... hehehe...). They just MIGHT replace it for free. Don't forget to write down the almighty Case Number when they give you one coz you're gonna have to give it to the Apple Store. Don't get your hopes up, but there's no harm in trying.

Should they dismiss your case as ineligible for free replacement, a new top case should run you about $100...

15. hogweed thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that explanation, and to everybody else who kindly contributed useful information. The guy I sold it to is taking it to the local Mac place – it’s out of warranty, so if they don’t do it for free looks like I’ll have to lash out £75 (UK) for it – trouble is, it looked so precise that I thought they were all like that – maybe some kind of ventilation holes, or for sound etc. Now I know why!

16. hogweed thread starter macrumors newbie

Phew!

MAC dealer replaced it under warranty, as you said. Thanks again for everybody's help.

Roger

17. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Machine Glitch.

Take to Apple Store, they should repair it with no problems.